You can now easily unlock the HTC One M9 bootloader thanks to some cooperation by HTC themselves, but some HTC devices still come with “S-On” (security-on) that gets in the way. It’s not easy to fix either, but luckily we have a couple of developers in JCase and BeaUps who have managed to do that. Here’s how:
HOW TO S-OFF HTC ONE M9
- Firstly, head to this page and root the HTC One M9.
- Download the Sunshine APK file to your HTC One M9
- Once the APK is open on your device, you’ll see a warning pop-up, click continue.
- Now you’ll get a compatibility test, tap the ‘OK’ button and continue.
- Now the app will ask for you for your purchase via PayPal–this is normal and unfortunately the only way.
- If you haven’t signed up already, you’ll need to create a Paypal account and link it to your bank account–a short-term nuisance, but if you ever shop online or transfer funds you’ll want to use it for others things.
- Once confirmed, it will want to restart the app. Allow the permissions for that when it prompts you to do so.
- After running through your license again it will ask if you are “ready to go?”, tap yes and wait for it to reboot your M9.
- Once the reboot is done, you should open the Sunshine app once more and check for the compatibility test. Tap the “Continue” and your device will have S-Off.
- That’s it! It can be frustrated going around in HTC circles like it seems, but it’s better that than following something that’s actually difficult. The hardest part here is verifying your Paypal account.