It’s now apparent that each G4 handset has the new rooting method available to use, including the International variant with model number H815. If that sounds like your number, you can follow the guide after the jump and learn how to root LG G4 on Android 5.1 Lollipop.
- You may only use this guide on the International variant of the G4.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the LG USB drivers on your Windows computer. The computer must be Windows or else this guide won’t work.
- Download the ADB and fastboot drivers on your Windows computer.
- Download the rooting file you need for the international variant.
- Download the “Send_Commands” tool here.
HOW TO ROOT THE INTERNATIONAL LG G4 RUNNING ANDROID 5.1 LOLLIPOP
- Extract the Send Commands file and the rooting file on the computer. Make sure you see the Send_Command.exe file and the ports.bat files.
- Extract the rooting package to the same Windows computer.
- Transfer the system.rooted.img file from the rooting file above to the root of the SD card. That means don’t have it inside any sub folder.
- Connect the LG G4 to the same computer where the files are waiting.
- Open the folder that has the Send_Command.exe file and right-click the mouse while holding down the Shift key.
- Choose to open the command prompt window now by clicking “open command window here”.
- Completely power off the G4 and reboot it to Download Mode. Doing that is easy: Hold the Volume Up button and connect it to the computer for that.
- Wait for the LG G4 screen to come on now and you are in the Download Mode.
- Double click the ports.bat file and read the COM port number the G4 is connected to on the computer. Write it down or remember it for in a minute.
- Type the command “Send_Command.exe \\.\COM2” if your COM port number is 2. Substitute the number 2 for the number you can see inside the ports file. Press enter to confirm the command.
- Type “id” and press enter. You should see a code similar to this: ‘uid=(0)root gid=(0)root’.
– if you don’t get a ping back with that strong, you want to redo every command until it works. Failing to do that can result in a bricked device.
- Type: “dd if=/data/media/0/system.rooted.H81510c-EU.img bs=8192 seek=55296 count=529920 of=/dev/block/mmcblk0
- ” and press enter.
- That’s all you need for the root access. Wait a few minutes for the rooting to complete.
- Type “LEAVE” as the last command and press enter. Your device should reboot automatically. You are now able to check out a custom recovery and think about flashing a custom ROM.