The Asus Zenfone 4 smartphone now has the official Android Lollipop OTA available which users can install. If you had root access before, installing the new software update will break it, and you’ll need to follow a new guide like the one we have here if you want to hack open the system internal again.
- The guide is made for the Zenfone 4 only. It doesn’t work on any of the other variants.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Intel USB Drivers for your Asus smartphone. You want to install those directly on the computer.
- You can only use this guide if you own a Windows computer. The fastboot and drivers only work with Windows.
- You are voiding any warranty you have left by following this guide. If you want to be able to send it away for free repairs, you must not follow this guide and/or unroot it before sending it away.
HOW TO ROOT THE ASUS ZENFONE 4 ON ANDROID LOLLIPOP
- Download the ClockworkMod (CWM) file from here.
- Download the rooting file you need to use from here.
- Download ADB and Fastboot on your Windows computer.
- Connect the Asus Zenfone 4 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the rooting file from above still zipped to the internal storage SD card.
- Extract CWM recovery and move it to the same folder as ADB and Fastboot so they are all together.
- Right-click the empty space in the folder that contains ADB fastboot and CWM and hold down Shift on the keyboard.
- Choose to open the command window from the new menu.
- From the command windows, type: “fastboot flash update updateCWM_18.104.22.168_fix_wipe.zip”.
- Press enter on the keyboard to confirm the command.
- Your device should reboot to the custom recovery now.
- Choose “install’ from the custom recovery menu and browse for the rooting file (SuperSU) you transferred to the SD cards earlier.
- Go back to the main recovery menu after you’ve finished loading the SuperSU and select reboot the system now.
Once your device reboots, you’ll have the root access and custom recovery installed. Now you can access that custom recovery (CWM) to flash custom ROM zip files and change your OS away from the stock Android.