If you own the Tab 4 LTE from T-Mobile and would like to gain root access or install a custom ROM, you might need a custom recovery for that. The guide below teaches you how to install the CWM custom recovery.
- Check your model number matches up with SM-T337T from the About Device menu. Don’t flash this file on any other Samsung device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You might need the Samsung USB Drivers you can download from our page.
- Note that you are voiding the warranty by following this guide. Any guide to do with flashing a custom recovery voids the warranty as it would if you were rooting the device.
- You are connected to a Windows PC during the guide. Therefore, you’ll need to enable the USB Debugging Mode. Do that now by navigating to the Settings > Developers Options > check the box for USB Debugging.
- Disable the Reactivation lock feature. Do that by pointing to Settings > Lock screen and security > Find my mobile. Uncheck the box if it’s enabled for Reactivation lock.
- Enable the OEM unlocking if you can. Those who cannot find it need not worry. However, you must check first: Go to Settings > Developer Options > check the box inside for OEM Unlocking if you see it there.
HOW TO INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY (CWM) ON THE T-MOBILE SAMSUNG GALAXY TAB 4 LTE
- Download the CWM recovery file from this link.
- Download Odin to your computer.
- Unzip both files so you can use them.
- Run the Odin app and leave it open.
- Turn off the Galaxy Tab 4 by holding the power button until it’s completely off.
- Reboot the Tab 4 in download mode by holding the Power with Volume Down and Home buttons until the screen changes. You might need to press Volume Up from the next screen to get in download mode.
- Now that you are in the desired download mode, connect the Tab 4 to the PC with the USB cable.
- The Odin app will change the color of the ID: COM port to let you know that your device is hooked up and working. Those that don’t see the color change might need to install the USB drivers if they didn’t earlier, or try rebooting the PC.
- Click the AP button in Odin and browse the computer for the CWM recovery file. You must unzip the file first or else you cannot load this file.
- Leave Odin’s default settings as they are already. Make sure the re-partition box is left empty.
- Click the Start button and wait for the flashing to complete.
All done. You can unplug from the computer after Odin gives you the “success” message and start thinking about flashing those ROM using the new recovery.