The following guide will teach you how to enter Fastboot mode on Huawei Mate S. The Fastboot mode is most commonly used for installing new software updates. The Fastboot mode on Huawei mate S is also common for flashing a custom recovery so people can install a custom ROM. Before going that far, you need to enter Fastboot mode on Huawei Mate S to unlock the bootloader. Of course, unlocking the bootloader is normally the first step to take before tinkering with the operating system with modifications.
Correspondingly, you might know Fastboot as a file that comes with ADB when we are settings up Android SDK. We are using ADB and Fasboot for this guide. The Fastboot mode is something different, and is a mode we must put the Huawei Mate S in before we can do any of the aforementioned tasks.
- The following guide teaches you how to enter Fastboot mode on the Huawei Mate S only. Do not follow this guide on a different device. You are better off looking up the fresh guide for your specific device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You are connected to the computer during the ‘enter Fastboot mode on Huawei Mate S’ guide. That same computer must be a Windows PC. You can use any Windows operating system from Windows XP through to the current Windows 10. Future Windows upgrades should work just as well as Windows 10.
- Make sure you have the USB Debugging Mode already enabled before connecting the Huawei Mate S to the computer.
- The USB Debugging Mode is found in the Developer Options. You’ll see the Developer Options available from the Settings. However, should you not see any Developer Options menu available from the Settings, it probably needs enabling. Do that by heading to the Settings > About Device and tapping over the build number seven times.
HOW TO ENTER FASTBOOT MODE/BOOTLOADER MODE ON THE HUAWEI MATE S
- Download Android SDK from the official developers page.
- Learn how to download and install ADB and Fastboot with method 2 on this page.
- Open the folder where you have ADB and Fastboot.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse to get a new menu popping up on the computer’s display.
- Choose to open the command window here from that new menu.
- Now you are ready to start typing in some commands to get the Huawei mate S in Fastboot mode.
- Type the first command: “adb reboot bootloader”.
- You should now see the Huawei mate S switch off and reboot in the Fastboot mode.
If you are confused about why it says Fastboot Mode and Bootloader Mode during our guide, don’t be. The Fastboot Mode and Bootloader Mode are effectively the same thing, just worded differently.
You must now use the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to navigate through the menu and select options. The Volume Down button will continuously scroll you through the list. Keep pressing Volume Down if you go past an option and it will eventually land on that same option again. Press the Volume Up button for confirming actions/entering the option only.