TWRP recovery is the custom recovery of choice when talking about the latest Mate S smartphone in the Huawei range this year. As you probably know, there are three main types of custom recovery people can choose from. The three I am referring to include CWM Recovery, Philz Touch Recovery and the one we are talking about here today in TWRP Recovery. The only problem is that they aren’t all necessarily available for your device at the same time. If you don’t mind making the choice to install Team Win’s custom recovery, you can do that below. Here’s the guide on how to install TWRP recovery on Huawei Mate S.
- You should only complete these steps if you have the Huawei Mate S. You cannot use the file and step in this guide for a different device without the risk of bricking. Always research a more specific guide for the device in your hands to avoid soft bricks and running into trouble.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have the Huawei Mate S bootloader unlocked before starting this guide.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON THE HUAWEI MATE S
- Download Android SDK from Android’s developers page.
- Install ADB and Fastboot using the second method on the page.
- Download the TWRP recovery from here.
– it’s the right version of TWRP recovery for your device. Don’t download just any version of TWRP Recovery or it won’t work.
- Enter Fastboot Mode on the Huawei Mate S. Alternatively, you can press the Volume Down + Volume Up + Power buttons at the same time and your Hawei mate S will enter the Fastboot mode/Bootloader mode.
- Open the folder where you have Fastboot.
- From within the fastboot folder, hold down the SHift key on the keyboard and right-click the mouse. The end result should be a new menu popping up on the computer’s display.
- Choose to open a newocmmand window here from that new menu.
- Now that you have the command prompt window open, it’s time to type a command!
- Type the command: “fastboot flash recovery twrp-22.214.171.124-carrera.img”.
- Check the Huawei Mate S’s display now for the Fastboot menu.
- Choose the recovery option from the display.
- The Huawei Mate S should now boot in the custom recovery mode.
Now that you have installed TWRP Recovery on Huawei Mate S, you can access the custom recovery for a few reasons. The main reason from here would be to then root your Huawei Mate S. You can learn how to root Huawei Mate S by following our guide.
Moreover, you can access the custom recovery to install custom ROM zip files. Hopefully some third-party developers will create some appealing custom ROMs for you to flash soon. The custom ROMs might also help you update the software so you are running the latest version of Android. Those of you who aren’t too keen on flashing ROMs can still learn how to take a NANDroid backup on the Huawei Mate S. A NANDroid backup is far superior to any backing up option you’ve had available in the past.