The following guide teaches you how to install TWRP recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Once you have a custom recovery installed on your device(TWRP), you can then flash custom ROMs. The custom ROMs are installed by zip files. The stock recovery doesn’t support zip files — probably because the manufacturer doesn’t want us flashing ROMs with them. That’s one of the main reasons why you need a custom recovery installed over the stock version. Another reason you might want to install a custom recovery is so you can take NANDroid backups. The NANDroid backups are essential for those who flash custom ROMs because part of the process is wiping the data between flashing ROMs. However, they are also handy for anyone who is too lazy to follow a standard backup process. With NANDroid backups, we can take a complete snapshot of the ROM and it’s done in one go.
- The following guide installs TWRP on the Sprint and T-Mobile variants of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 only. Do not attempt to install the custom recovery on any other device. You should find the more specific guide for different devices.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from our USB Driver page.
- You are voiding the warranty when you flash a custom recovery on your device, just like you would be voiding the warranty rooting the device. Furthermore, just like with rooting, the Knox counter will be tripped when installing a custom recovery. The Knox flash counter is an added bit of security the Samsung team has implemented to make it easily identifiable when people have tinkered with the internal system. They don’t really care about it, they just don’t want to have to deal with any additional problems on top of their already hectic customer support schedule.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 5
- Download the Odin flashing tool for Windows PCs.
- Download the TWRP recovery you want to flash on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 from here.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 in download mode. To reach download mode, you must press the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons together. Release the three buttons after you see the screen change and the warning screen arrive. Now press the Volume Up button once and you should get your device in the download mode.
- Extract the Odin tool and the TWRP recovery files so you can use the executable files inside the folders.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to the computer where you have the TWRP recovery image and the Odin flashing tool waiting.
- Click the AP button in Odin and browse the desktop for the TWRP recovery file. The only reason it won’t work is if it isn’t unzipped.
- Click the Start button and Odin will now flash the custom recovery on your device.
- Wait for the pass message from Odin after some minutes and you are ready to unplug from the computer.
Great work! That’s how to install TWRP recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note 5. Now you can check out what custom ROMs are available for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. There are sure to be a few in the coming months.