A new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop software update is now rolling out over the air for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smartphone. The new firmware build number is N920VVRU2AOJ2. Those of you wishing to install the latest software and update Verizon Galaxy Note 5 N920V to Android 5.1.1 can do so after the jump.
- The following guide works for the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 with model number N920V only. Do not try flashing the firmware file on another model number or you will need to unbrick the device. Please check your model number by turning on the device and pointing to the Settings > About Device menu.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from our page and install them on the Windows computer. If you continue to have USB driver problems, try installing the universal driver made by Koush. You can find that driver on the same page as the Samsung USB drivers. If you continue to have driver related problems, reboot the Windows PC and that should help.
- You must have a Windows PC to complete this tutorial since the Odin tool only works with the Windows operating system.
- Installing software updates on your device is an official process and does not void a warranty even though you are doing it manually. Applying updates using Odin often restores warranties that were previously void, but that only happens if your device doesn’t come with Knox security. Most Samsung Galaxy Note 5 phablets do come with Knox.
- If you want to return back to a stock ROM from a custom ROM, you can apply these steps to get that done and have Lollipop on your device. However, you need to apply a factory reset after updating to the Lollipop software update. A factory reset returns your device back to its original state and how it was originally out of the box. By doing that you are wiping all data that was on the device. For everyone else, you do not lose any device data by following the guide to update to the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
HOW TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 5 N920V TO ANDROID 5.1.1 N920VVRU2AOJ2 LOLLIPOP
- Download the new Android 5.1.1 firmware file from here .
- Download the Odin flashing tool version 3.10 from here .
- Download both the files and move them to the desktop of the computer.
- Right-click over the files and click the ‘extract here’ option.
- Double-click the Odin tool and run Odin on the computer.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to download mode .
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 to the computer using the USB cable.
- Wait for the ID: COM port in Odin to change color. You need to install the Samsung USB drivers on the computer if you do not see any color change in the Odin ID: COM port.
- Click the AP button and browse the computer for the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop N920VVRU2AOJ2 firmware file.
- Leave the Auto Reboot and F Reset Time options on and turn off the re-partition box.
- Click the Start button and your device will be flashed with the Lollipop software update.