As most of you can see already, LG now has a new handset in their lineup, namely the LG V10. Thankfully, there is already a way in which you can unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and root the LG V10 without too much hassle at all. Those of you who haven’t yet unlocked the bootloader must do so before installing the custom recovery and getting the root access to unlock the internal system. Once you’ve done that much you should install the TWRP recovery using the guide below. Last but not least is the root access which enables the device to accept apps from the Google Play Store which require access to the root file system.
- The following guides teaches you how to install TWRP recovery on the LG V10. Team Win’s custom recovery is only one custom recovery out of three that you can use with Android, although there isn’t any of the others available for this device yet. Furthermore, there’s no telling when the other two recoveries are coming out (if at all) so you should just install this recovery option if you want to install custom ROMs.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have a Windows PC to use this guide. It doesn’t work for any other operating system, including Mac or Linux machines.
- Download the LG USB Drivers and install them on the Windows PC.
- Make sure the USB Debugging Mode is already enabled on the LG smartphone before continuing. You can check that by heading to the Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON LG V10 H901
- Download the TWRP recovery image you need to flash on your device from here.
– unzip the file on your computer and move it over to the same file as ADB later.
- Download the Quick ADB and Fastboot installer package from here.
- Set up ADB and fastboot on your Windows PC so you can use the rest of the guide blow.
- Long-press the LG V10 Power button until you know the device is off for sure.
- Press the Power + Volume Down for at least 5 seconds and then wait until you see the bootloader screen. Now connect it to the computer where you have downloaded and installed all of the files from above.
- From the folder where you have the TWRP recovery image and the ADB, hold down the Shift key and eight-click any empty space where it’s white and there’ no file.
- Select the ‘open new command window here’ from the new menu that should pop out.
- Type the first command: fastboot devices
– this command checks that your device is connected to the computer. If you do not see any connection we suggest installing the USB drivers. If it still doesn’t work try rebooting the computer or installing the universal ADB driver from Koush.
- Type the next command: fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
– change the ‘recovery.img’ to the real file name you can see on your file. If you cannot see what it is, you can always change the file name to match up with ‘recovery.img’ and then retype the command.
There; you now have the custom recovery installed on your device. You can now learn how to root LG V10 smartphones.