Applying over the air software updates on the Samsung Galaxy Avant should only be done when you have a locked operating system. That means if you have root access on the device, you should not apply any OTA updates in the future until your device is unrooted. That is still true if you see the notification for the OTA arriving to your notifications panel.
The way in which you should update is by applying the same software update on your Samsung Galaxy Avant via the Odin flashing tool. The Odin tool is great because it lets you flash firmware files on your device. The firmware is what you would otherwise know as the software update you are accepting as the OTA update. Essentially, you are installing the same software on your device, just manually and not automatic over the air.
Connecting your Samsung Galaxy Avant to the computer should always be done in download mode. The download mode represents the correct mode to have your Samsung device when you want to flash updates. The same can be said for when you want to flash just about any file, including the ones that root your device and install a custom recovery on the device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- The download mode process is an official process made by the Samsung developers for your device. Samsung wants you to enter this mode when you want to flash your device. Applying software updates manually on your device is not against any of Samsung’s rules and therefore you do not void any warranty by applying these steps.
- While applying this guide doesn’t void your warranty, the other guide you were following that brought you here might. Common situations where one might void a warranty include rooting your Samsung Galaxy Avant smartphone and installing a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Avant smartphone. You can get those warranties working again so long as your device doesn’t come with any version of Knox security.
- You’ll need to enable the USB Debugging Mode before connecting the Samsung smartphone to the computer. You can get that done by heading over to the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode. Now just tap over the box so it applies a check-mark to it and then navigate back out of the Developer Options menu.
- if you cannot see a Developer Options and therefore cannot enter it, head over to the Settings > About Device and tap the build number until it’s unlocked. Soon it will tell you that the Developer Options is unlocked.
HOW TO ENTER DOWNLOAD MODE ON SAMSUNG GALAXY AVANT SMARTPHONES
- Start with the Samsung Galaxy Avant smartphone completely off. Do that by holding in the Power key for some seconds until it goes off.
- Now reboot by holding the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
- Keep holding the three buttons in until the screen changes and you can see it tell you that you must press the Volume Up button.
- As this stage, release the three buttons and just hold down the Volume Up button by itself.
- Now the Samsung Galaxy Avant will enter download mode and you can connect it to the computer.