A new software update is rolling out OTA to the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 . The new over the air update arriving to your notifications panel is build number N920VVRU2AOJ2 and it upgrades your Android operating system to a fresh Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. In this update you will find some new features and a bunch of bug fixes making it a more stable build than the last.
There are a few reasons why people shouldn’t accept OTA notifications when it comes to upgrading the Samsung OS, and one of the main ones is if your device has root access. Those of you who have rooted the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 should update to the latest N920VVRU2AOJ2 firmware manually and using the Odin flashing tool. We’ll show you how that’s done below in the update Verizon Galaxy Note 5 N920V to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop how-to guide.
- The following guide is only for the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 smartphone and should not be used for any other phone carrier network. Verizon, long with the other networks, have a unique device with a unique model number. Each model number needs a unique file or else you will brick the device. As long as you follow these steps using the Verizon model number, you cannot go wrong.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones from the official Samsung developers page found on our page. If those drivers don’t work for you, try installing the universal ADB driver instead. However, from our experience, the Samsung drivers will work well for your Galaxy Note 5 device.
- Those of you with a custom recovery installed and a custom ROM installed, need to apply a factory reset after the Lollipop update is complete. That means it’s a must to back up the devices data before starting if you are running a custom ROM now.
- Those of who running official software updates from Samsung such as Android 5.0.1, 5.02 or 5.1 Lollipop do not lose data during the update process.
HOW TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 5 (VERIZON) TO ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP (N920VVRU2AOJ2 FIRMWARE)
- Download the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop update from here.
- Download the Odin 3.10 from here.
- Extract both of the files above to the desktop of a Windows PC. Do that by moving the files over to the desktop and then right-clicking over the files and selecting the extract here option from the menu.
- Double click and run the Odin tool so it’s open.
- Turn off your device and then reboot it in the download mode.
- Once you have the device in the necessary download mode, connect it to the computer where you have the files.
- Click the PDA/AP button and upload the executable firmware file you have on the desktop.
- Click the Start button and that same Lollipop firmware update will now flash on your device.
- Wait for the pass message to be displayed via the Odin tool on your computer. If the Auto reboot box is checked and on, the device should reboot after it’s done also. Those without the Auto reboot box on must reboot the device manually to get that done.
- Now everyone should have their devices in normal mode and running the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with firmware build N920VVRU2AOJ2.