These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 smartphones on Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. The Android 4.3 Jelly Bean is the latest official software update released for this handset. You won’t be running anything newer like the Android 4.4 KitKat unless you updated to KitKat with a custom ROM.
- The following guide works for the Samsung Galaxy S3 with the model number GT-I9300. Do not follow these instructions of you have a different model number or you will brick that device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers from our USB Drivers page here.
- You do void the warranty of the Samsung Galaxy S3 when you unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery or get root access.
- You must have an unlocked bootloader before you can get root access on the Samsung Galaxy S3 following this guide.
- Make sure you have the Developer Options enabled and the USB Debugging Mode turned on before starting the steps.
- You must have a Windows PC to follow this guide using the CF-Auto-Root tool and the Odin flashing tool. You cannot flash these files using a Linux operating system or a Mac OS X operating system.
- If one of the versions of Odin doesn’t work for your device, try using a different version. Sometimes a change in Odin versions can be the difference between the flashing working and not working.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S3 GT-I9300 ON ANDROID 4.3 JELLY BEAN
- Download the CF-Auto-Root package from here.
- Download one of the latest versions of Odin from here.
- Extract both the files on the desktop of your computer. Do that by transferring the files to the desktop and then right-click the mouse over the files and select the option that says “extract here”.
- Click the mouse over the executable Odin file and the Odin tool will run on your computer.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone to download mode. Press the Power + Volume Down + Home buttons to reach download mode. You must start with the device turned completely off or it doesn’t work.
- Once you have the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone in download mode, connect it to the computer with the USB cable.
- The ID: COM port will change colors if your Samsung USB Drivers are working.
- Click the PDA/AP button to start the flashing on your device.
- Soon your device will get flashed with the rooting file and the Galaxy S3 will reboot.
- Wait until you see the pass message and your device reboots before you unplug the device from the computer.
You might also want to read how to unroot the Samsung galaxy S3 GT-I9300 smartphone so you can return back to the stock ROM later.