These are the instructions to unroot Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 smartphones. You can apply the same steps if you want to just downgrade the smart phone to the stock ROM from a custom ROM. However, those of you downgrading from a custom ROM will need to apply a factory reset after installing the update.
- The following guide works for the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone with the model number GT-I9500 only. You can anytime check your S4’s model number by heading over to the Menu > Settings > About Device and looking at what it says. If it doesn’t match up with the I9500 model, you cannot use this guide or you will brick that device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have a Windows PC to follow this guide. The Odin flashing tool was made by Samsung developers but never officially released. The version that leaked was made for Windows operating systems only and therefore doesn’t work on Ubuntu, any other Linux or Mac OS X operating systems.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for your smartphone on your computer. Alternatively, give the ADB drivers by ClockworkMod a whirl and see how they go for your device.
- Make sure you have the Developer Options unlocked and the USB Debugging Mode on so you can connect the device to the computer successfully.
- You are restoring the warranty on your device by unrooting unless you have Samsung Knox security. That’s only the case if you have time left on your warranty agreement.
HOW TO UNROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 GT-I9500
- Download the stock ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S4 from this Sam Mobile link here.
- Create a Sam Mobile account in order to download the official firmware file. It won’t let you download the firmware file to your computer unless you log in.
- Download the latest Odin flashing tool from here. If the latest version doesn’t work, download one of the other versions.
- Extract both files on the desktop of the computer. To do that, move the files over to the desktop and then right-click over the files and select the “extract here’ option.
- Double-click the executable Odin file so the Odin user-interface opens on the computer.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy S4 in down load mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power buttons.
- Connect it to the computer after you press the Volume Up button when it tells you to do that on the display.
- Click the PDA/Ap button and browse the desktop for your stock ROM you extracted at the beginning.
- Click the Start button when you are ready to flash that stock ROM and unroot your Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone.
- Wait until the Odin user-interface gives you the pass message from the message box on the left hand side and then your device reboots automatically.
- Now you are ready to unplug from the computer and close down the Odin tool on the computer.
In conclusion, you have just learned how to unroot Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 smartphones by flashing the stock ROM on your device.