Rooting the Samsung Galaxy Chat is great if you want to install apps like the InstaWiFi app on your device. However, you will need to install a custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Chat if you want to start flashing new ROMs. You won’t find a great many of new ROMs available for the Galaxy Chat, but you should find a few. Furthermore, the custom recovery is great if you want to take full backups using the NANDroid backup feature.
- These are the steps to install CWM recovery on Samsung Galaxy Chat devices with the model number GT-B5330. Do not try installing this custom recovery file on any other version of the Samsung Galaxy Chat or you might brick the device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers directly to the computer.
- You can only follow this guide using a Windows PC. The steps won’t work if you are using Linux or Mac computers.
- You must have the Developer Options menu enabled and the USB Debugging Mode turned on from that same Developer Options menu.
- For all of those people who need to know how to unlock the Developer Options menu, follow this path: Menu > Settings > About Device > tap the build number around 7 times and it will tell you that you are now a developer. Now you can head back to the Settings menu and enter the Developer Options menu. Turn on the USB Debugging Mode when you get inside.
HOW TO FLASH CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY ON SAMSUNG GALAXY CHAT GT-B5330
- Download the CWM recovery from this XDA thread (link is in the first post).
- Download the latest version of the Odin flashing tool from this link.
- Extract both of the above files to the desktop of your Windows PC by right-clicking over the files and selecting the “extract here” option.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy Chat and reboot in download mode by pressing the Volume Down + Home + power buttons during the rebooting phase.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Chat to the computer using the USB cable.
- Click the PDA or the AP button from the Odin user-interface and browse the desktop for the custom recovery file you are hoping to flash.
- Once loaded, click the Start button without adjusting any of the default settings from the Odin user-interface. Those are the same default settings you get after installing a fresh version of the Odin flashing tool.
- Wait some minutes for the Odin flashing tool to finish flashing your custom recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Chat,
- The Galaxy Chat will reboot and the Odin app will give you the pass message in a green box.
- Now you can unplug from the computer and boot the Samsung Galaxy Chat up in that custom recovery mode whenever you please.
Now that you have a custom recovery installed and ready to start flashing ROMs, you might want to learn how to root the Samsung Galaxy Chat so you can start installing new apps on your device too!