The LG Tribute arrived during 2014 with the unique ability of having the “Knock Code” to unlock your smartphone in privacy. The Knock Code was available as part of an Android KitKat software update roll out but never made its way around to all devices. Those of you who loved using the Knock Code will also love what you can do once your have rooted the LG Tribute device. Here’s how:
These are the instructions to root LG tribute smartphones.
- You will need a Micro USB cable to connect to the computer.
- The LG Tribute must be encrypted before you can follow this guide.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make sure you have the ADB Debugging Mode enabled on your smartphone before you start with the guide. You must first enable the Developer Options for you to be able to do that by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Tap the build number 7 times until it says you are using the device as a developer.
- Navigate back to your Developer Options by following this original path: Menu > Settings > Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging Mode that is inside. Some LG devices require you to enable the PTP for the USB Debugging to work.
HOW TO ROOT LG TRIBUTE
- Download the LG Root package from this link directly to the computer.
– those of you with a Windows PC will find the file ending up in the downloads folder. Those who do not see the file in the downloads folder will have changed the default downloads location. Either change your default downloads location back to the downloads folder and download it again, or check the folder that is currently set as your default downloads location.
- Drag the LG_Root.zip over to the desktop of the computer.
- Extract the zip file and keep it open on the desktop.
- From within the folder, hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse to bring up a new menu. Choose to open a new command prompt window here from that menu.
- Connect the LG Tribute to the computer using the USB cable.
- Type your first command from the command prompt window:
- Now for your second command:
adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp
- Reboot the device in bootloader mode by turning it off completely and rebooting by holding the Volume Up button whilst connecting the USB cable to the computer.
- Wait for the drivers to install on your computer for the device. These should happen automatically.
- Double-click on the Ports.bat file you get from within the Root folder you extracted earlier on the desktop. You need to find out what your COM port number is — this number will vary between users.
- Type your next command with the command number in mind and change the number in the string to your real number:
Now it's time for the last command which will run the rooting script for your device: sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox
- Turn off the device and remove the battery.
Reboot your LG Tribute and it should reboot in the normal mode ready for you to start installing your new apps. You might want to start off with the basic root checker app.