We recommend not rooting your Grand Prime SM-G531H smartphone if you have just installed a software update recently just in case Chinaifre needs to update the file. Sometimes new software updates come in and they arrive with new bootloaders. It’s these new bootloaders that sometimes cause the CF-Auto-Root tool to stop booting a device properly. As soon as Chainfire is alerted to the new bootloader he updates the file and they start working again.
Anyone who is experiencing a device that does not boot or flash should let Chainfire know by messaging at the official CF-Auto-Root XDA Developers page so the developer can update the file.
- You must only use this guide on the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime smartphone that comes with the model number SM-G531H. You can check what your Grand Prime’s model number is by tapping on your Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- The CF-Auto-Root package in this guide is made from the LMY48B.G531HXXU0AOK2 firmware on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop — that’s the build ID. It doesn’t mean you have to be running that firmware. However, we only recommend you follow this guide running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop and look for a new guide if your device is ever upgraded to Android 6.0 or above to avoid any issues.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones from our USB Drivers page and install them on the Windows computer you are planning to use during the guide. You need those drivers working before you start the guide so the smartphone, computer and the computers programs all gel.
- Unlock the hidden developer options menu by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device — now just tap the Build Number seven times.
- Go back to the Developer Options menu from the Settings and then enter the same to turn on the USB Debugging Mode.
- You are voiding the warranty by following this guide. Only Samsung devices running Knox security cannot get the warranty back again; check your devices details to find out if Knox security is running on your device. Those with no Knox can unroot and the warranty works.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY GRAND PRIME SM-G531H RUNNING ANDROID 5.1.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download the CF-Auto-Root file for the Grand Prime from this link.
- Download the Odin flash tool for your computer from this link.
- Extract the files on the desktop of the computer by right-clicking over the files and choosing the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Turn off your Grand Prime smartphone and reboot it up in download mode so it is ready to connect to the computer.
- Plug the Grand prime smartphone into the computer and wait a few moments for the drivers to start working.
- Click the PDA button from the Odin user-interface and upload your tar.md5 file that’s on the desktop after you originally extracted the rooting file.
- Click the Start button and Odin will flash that rooting exploit by Chainfire on your Grand prime device.
- Look on your Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime smartphone’s display and wait until it tells you that it is going to reboot in 10 seconds and then watch it reboot in recovery mode.
Your device must reboot into the recovery mode — whether it’s the stock recovery or custom recovery — so that it can finish rooting the device. Any device that does not go into recovery mode will not be rooted. You can manually get into recovery mode if it doesn’t happen automatically by pressing the Power + Home + Volume Up button’s the same time — but only when booting the device after it has been off.