- The following TWRP image is intended for the ADT-1 Android TV only. Do not use this file on any other devices unless you know for a fact that it works. You can end up bricking your device.
- Installing a custom recovery usually requires an unlocked bootloader for a smartphone and tablet. When unlocking the bootloader, you are wiping the data. Research what you need for the Android TV.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Make sure you backup any data you do not want to risk losing. Find out what you are able to backup from the Android TV and store as much of that data as you can just in case you need to restore it later.
- Enable the Developer Options by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number and keep tapping at least 7 times until it says you are using the device as a developer. You can now connect to the computer and run your ADB commands.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON ADT-1 ANDROID TV
- Learn how to set up ADB on your Windows computer and then get started with the rest of the steps in this guide.
- Download your TWRP image for the Android TV from this link .
- Download and install the universal ADB Driver for your Windows computer.
- Copy the TWRP image over to the same folder as your ADB and leave the folder open.
- Hold down the Shift key and right-click anywhere in the folder where there are no files and choose to “open a new command window here” from the menu.
- Type the first command to get your Android TV in bootloader mode: adb reboot bootloader
- Type the second command to flash your custom recovery image on the Android TV device: fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Type the last command and boot into recovery mode directly after entering the command: fastboot reboot
The trick with the last command “fastboot reboot” is to reboot the Android TV to recovery mode during the first boot so the custom recovery boots up. Sometimes if you do not boot it up during the first time booting process, it will wipe the custom recovery and have the stock recovery when you try to boot it up the following day. Use your hardware buttons for recovery mode on the Android TV and make sure you go directly to recovery mode after confirming the “fastboot reboot” command.