Installing a custom recovery will help you take complete backups without adb commands on your Oppo R7 Lite smartphone. Moreover, it is what you need to upload your new kernels that help with overclocking the smartphone. In due time, the Oppo R7 Lite should also find some custom ROMs available if you check out some threads over at the XDA Developers website — they will help you completely change your devices appearance, performance and features.
- You must have the Oppo R7 Lite smartphone to use this guide. A custom recovery file like TWRP Recovery is usually very specifically made for a device. You cannot just install any TWRP file on your device.
- You must have a Windows PC to use this guide. You will not get our version of the adb installation done unless you have a Windows computer. Furthermore, your adb commands may vary from a Mac or Linux computer.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- We recommend you take a backup of your data by syncing your Google account, or by installing some apps from the Google Play Store that can help you with the job. The Helium app is probably still the best backup application that is available for non-rooted users. Anyone with rooted access can install the Titanium Backup application instead. Naturally, the app that has the option of taking advantage of the rooting permissions is going to be the better of the two to choose; therefore, you should checkout the Titanium app first if you can run it on your device.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON OPPO R7 LITE SMARTPHONES
- Download the TWRP Recovery package for the R7 Lite device from this link.
- Extract the file on the desktop of your Windows computer by right-clicking > extract here.
- Rename the TWRP file to recovery.img so you can flash it easily later during the guide.
- Find out how to set up adb on your Windows computer if you do not already have it on the computer.
- Copy the TWRP Recovery file over to the same folder as your adb is sitting.
- Conenct the Oppo R7 Lite smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- From within the adb and TWRP folder, hold down the Shift key and right-click the mouse to bring up a new menu and choose to open a new command window here.
- Type the first command:
adb reboot bootloader
- The Oppo R7 Lite will now be in the bootloader mode and ready for the custom recovery installation.
- Type your next command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- The TWRP Recovery file will now be flashed on your smartphone.
- Issue the last command:
Sometimes the stock recovery will wipe the custom recovery when you reboot the device with the last command. You must use Google to find out the exact button combination to enter recovery mode on the Oppo R7 Lite smartphone and then press that button combination and give the “fastboot reboot” command at the same time. You should find it boot into your custom recovery now.
Those wanting to enhance the customization can also check out how to root the Oppo R7 Lite smartphone so you can install your custom ROMs, custom kernels and the apps that require root access to run.