Follow this guide to install a custom recovery on the Asus Transformer TF300TG tablet. The custom recovery we are equipping your tablet with today is the worlds most popular custom recovery: TWRP Recovery.
- You must have the Asus Transformer Pad with the TF300TG model number to continue with this guide. You can find out your model number by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
- You must unlock the bootloader on the Asus Transformer Pad before you can use this guide and install a custom recovery on the device.
- You must have a computer that is running a Windows operating system to use this guide. Those of you running Mac OS X or a Linux distribution will not get the guide working.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the hidden Developer Options menu on your Asus Transformer TF300TG by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Enable the USB Debugging option that is available from your Developer Options menu that you just unlocked by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON ASUS TRANSFORMER TF300TG
- Download the TWRP Recovery for the TF300TG model from this link.
- Download the universal ADB Driver and install it directly on your Windows computer.
- Set up adb on your computer running Windows by using our detailed guide for that and then come back here and continue with this guide.
- Extract the TWRP file by right-clicking > extract here on the desktop.
- Copy the TWRP file over to the same folder as your adb and leave the folder open.
- Connect the Asus Transformer TF300TG to the computer with the USB cable you would normally use for charging the battery.
- From within the adb folder, right-click the mouse and hold the Shift key simultaneously and choose to “open a new command window here” from the menu.
- Type your first command in the command prompt window:
adb reboot bootloader
- Type the next command:
fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging twrp.img
- Type the last command:
The Asus Transformer TF300TG should now reboot and the custom recovery should be installed. Sometimes the stock recovery wipes over the custom recovery when issuing the “fastboot reboot’ command at the end. Anyone experiencing the same thing should open Google in a web browser and search for how to enter recovery mode on the Asus Transformer TF300TG device to retrieve the exact key combination. Now hold those keys when you are giving the “fastboot reboot” command from the command line and you should find your device now keeps the custom recovery. You only have to do that once.