It might’ve taken you a lot of guts to go ahead with the rooting of the Zenfone Max smartphone, but you should rest easy knowing that you can always reverse everything you just did and start running the stock ROM once again. We call this unrooting the Android operating system, and it’s done on your Asus Zenfone Max the same way as we would do it for any other device.
Flashing the stock ROM is always one way we can unroot a device completely. The only difference between your Asus device and many other devices is the way you flash that stock ROM using a computer. Some smartphone manufacturers develop their personal flashing tool for enthusiasts to use from a computer. We know Samsung do this with the Odin flashing tool, and Sony does it with the SP Flash Tool. With Asus devices, things are a bit different. Whether you love it or hate it, we can flash your Zenfone Max stock ROM using the internal storage SD card and your stock recovery.
These are the instructions to unroot Asus Zenfone Max ZC550KL smartphones using a stock ROM on your SD card and the stock recovery mode:
- You should have your Asus Zenfone Max smartphone rooted before following this guide.
- You must have the Asus Zenfone Max ZC550KL smartphone to use this guide. Flashing the stock ROM is always device-specific and often even model number specific. Check your model number matches up with ZC550KL by tapping on the Settings > About Device > Model Number.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You will be copying the stock ROM zip file over to the internal storage SD card during the guide. Make sure you keep the stock firmware file zipped or else it won’t install when you boot the device into recovery mode. You should have no problems transferring the zip file to the SD card as is with it zipped.
- Flashing the stock ROM will fully unroot your Zenfone Max device, and it should result in your warranty from Asus working again. That means sending it away for free repairs if you had a warranty working before you decided to root the device and there is still some time remaining on that same warranty.
HOW TO UNROOT ASUS ZENFONE MAX
- Download the Zonefone Max’s stock ROM that is going to unroot your device from here.
- Follow the instructions you used for installing TWRP, but this time, flash the stock recovery back on your device.
- Download the stock ROM from the first step and have it on the desktop of the computer.
- Connect the Zenfone Max to the computer and copy the stock ROM over to the internal storage SD card.
- Boot the Zenfone Max smartphone to recovery mode.
- Choose the “Apply update from SD card” option from the recovery mode menu.
- Select the UL-ASUS_Z010-WW-188.8.131.52-user.zip file and flash it on your device.
- Reboot the smartphone and you’re done.
In conclusion, that’s how to unroot Asus Zenfone Max smartphones by flashing the stock ROM. You should know that it means you can no longer install any of those root applications from the Google Play Store like the Titanium Backup app that was so effective in removing or freezing your system apps.