Installing a custom recovery on the Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone is necessary if you ever want to root the device. There is a working rooting method for this device already and it comes by the way of installing the trusted SuperSU app. The way we do that is by uploading it from our recovery. Moreover, anyone wanting to install aftermarket firmware or take NANDroidf backup will want to have a custom recovery installed too. Team Win’s TWRP is the choice of custom recovery to install, and it is available for the Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone by following the guide after the break.
These are the instructions to install a custom recovery on the Xiaomi Mi5 smartphone by using Team WIn’s TWRP image:
- The TWRP image in this guide is intended for use on the Mi 5 smartphone and no other from the Xiaomi range. You can easily brick your device if you start installing the wrong recovery images on a device.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You will need to become a developer on the Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone before you can follow this guide successfully due to you needing the USB Debugging Mode operating. You can become a developer by tapping on the Settings, followed by the About Phone menu and then tap over the Build Number at least seven times or more until you see it says on the display that it now considers you a developer.
- Head back to the original Settings menu where you first came from and then scroll down until you can see the Developer Options menu. Enter the Developer Options and check the box for the USB Debugging Mode that is there inside.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON XIAOMI MI 5 SMARTPHONES
- Download the TWRP file that is made for the Mi 5 smartphone from here.
- Set up ADB and Fastboot on the computer and keep the folder open that has the ADB inside hen you are done.
- Connect the Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Extract the TWRP file and copy it over to the same folder as your ADB, so they both sit in the same directory.
- Rename your recovery file to “recovery.img”.
- From inside the TWRP and ADB folder, hold down the Shift key and right-click the mouse where it shows some white background and choose to “open a new command window here” from the menu.
- Type the first command: “adb reboot bootloader” and then hit the enter key on the keyboard.
- Type the next command: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img”.
- Type the next command: “fastboot reboot” and then press the hardware key combination for recovery mode as soon as you see the display on your smartphone reboot.
In conclusion, that is all you need to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 5 smartphones. You should find that custom recovery is all you need to root the device once you find the SuperSU available. Just make sure you have the right version of the SuperSU app before you attempt to root your device. You should seek a rooting guide for the Mi 5 device if you want to get that done smoothly.