The main reason one would want to root the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone is to start installing root apps. These are apps that can be found in the Google Play Store and other third-party sources online and cannot be installed on an Android smartphone without root access. Once you complete the steps during the guide after the break, you can start installing root apps like the Tasker application. True, Tasker comes in a free version for non-rooted users too, but the experience you get from Tasker is far greater with full system access. The Tasker application could be one of the most complicated apps to try to put in words because it needs to be seen to understood. Anyone looking for a total automation experience should root the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone and then head over to the Google Play Store and install the Tasker app.
These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N9106W on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop updates using the CF-Auto-Root tool by Chainfire and a Windows computer.
- You need the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone with the SM-N9106W model number to use this guide.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the hidden developer options menu on your Samsung Galaxy Note 4 phablet if you need it by tapping on the Settings application > About Device and then tapping over where it says the build number seven times.
- Enter the Developer Options menu that you have just unlocked by tapping on the Settings app, followed by the Developer Options and then check the box to enable the USB Debugging Mode. You can exit the Developer Options menu now, and it will remember your preferences.
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone and install them on your computer before you start with the guide or else you will not get the Galaxy Note 4 to connect with the Odin flashing application.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 4 SM-N9106W RUNNING ANDROID 5.0.1 LOLLIPOP
- Download the updated CF-Auto-Root tool for the Note 4 N9106W on Android 5.0.1 from here.
- Extract the rooting package to the desktop of the computer by having it on the desktop and then right-click the file to select the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Double-click the Odin executable file that is now on the desktop and wait for the Odin flashing app user interface to open.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the AP button from the Odin user interface once you can see the ID: COM port is blue or yellow.
- Do not change any of the default settings from the Odin user interface.
- Click the Start button.
- Wait until you get a pass message inside a green box from the Odin user interface.
In conclusion, that is how to root Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N9106W smartphones running on the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop updates by using the newer version of the CF-Auto-Root tool that is coming directly from Chainfire’s repository. You can start installing your root apps like Tasker as soon as you see your smartphone reboot.