Those of you who now own the T-Mobile LG G5 smartphone can customize the operating systems with root apps and custom ROMs or kernels by first unlocking the bootloader and then installing a custom recovery followed by rooting the handset. The custom recovery we are installing in this tutorial is the TWRP Recovery from Team Win–an open source team who are now the developers of the world’s most popular custom recovery and you should install it on your smartphone if you want nothing but the best available.
- You must unlock the bootloader on the T-Mobile LG G5 smartphone  before you can install a custom recovery image on the smartphone. Once you have the custom recovery installed you may then go on to upload your SuperSU that is tested and works for this handset via the custom recovery to root the device.
- The custom recovery image in this guide is intended to be installed on the T-Mobile version of the LG G5 smartphone and no others. A custom recovery can often be model number or phone carrier network specific so make sure you do not install the file in this guide on any other device unless instructed by a professional.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the Developer Options menu on the G5 smartphone if you find that it is currently locked down by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number seven times. Once you have tapped enough times, it gives you a message on the display letting you know that the Developer Options menu is now unlocked.
- From inside the unlocked Developer Options menu enable the USB Debugging Mode by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging and then leave your Developer Options menu and the Android operating system remembers your preferences.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON T-MOBILE LG G5 SMARTPHONES
- Turn off the LG G5 smartphone and take out the battery for at least five full seconds.
- Hold the Volume Up key down and then connect the LG G5 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable while still holding the Volume Up key down the entire time. When done the right way, your device reboots into the Download mode.
- Download the DLL file  and have it on the desktop of the computer.
- Download the LGUP tool  and save it to the desktop of the computer.
- Double-click on the LGUP file to launch the tool on your desktop.
- Download the TOT file  and save it to the desktop.
- Click on the Upgrade button available from the LGUP user interface.
- Select the TOT file from the desktop location to be extracted and installed on the smartphone.
- Click the Start button from the LGUP user interface and it begins to install the custom recovery on your LG G5 smartphone.
- Reboot the G5 handset once the flashing of the TOT file is complete.
In conclusion, that is how to install TWRP Recovery on T-Mobile LG G5 smartphones by using the handy LGUP tool and your TOT file. Now that you have unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom recovery it is time to check out everything you need to root the LG G5 T-Mobile smartphone .