Do you wish to share your Plex Media library with friends and family members? Many of you have invested plenty of energy and time in collecting your favorite movies and television shows in the Plex Media Player. So, if it is possible to share Plex Media library with friends and family members, then it would be really great. Now, it is possible to share your Plex Media library with others by doing some tweaks.
Working of Plex
Plex is an advanced media management tool that presents your complete media collection in a library-type of interface. Plex extracts the required information about the downloaded media automatically from its online database. This information which includes synopses, movie posters, movie thumbnails, and cast information make your personal streaming experience ideal. Plex behaves like a media server and media library platform to store your movies on your Network-attached storage (NAS). Plex also transcodes the media file into all formats.
Prerequisites for Sharing Plex Media Library with Friends
Your friend should have a high speed Internet connection to access your Plex Media library. Also, you should have a fast Internet connection. If you face problems watching your own videos and movies then you will find it difficult to share Plex media library with friends. Also, your friends should have a free Plex account.
Steps to Share Your Plex Media Library with Friends
- First, you should have a Plex Media server ready and running.
- Next, you have to make sure your Plex Media library is able to access from outside your home computer.
- Again, you should ensure that the friends and family members with whom you are going to share your Plex Media library have a free Plex account.
- Log into your Plex account and search for the icon “Profile.” It is displayed at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, click on the Profile icon and select the option “Users.”
- After that, go to the left side of your screen and select the option “Friends..
- The Friends menu is where you will be managing your friend requests and the invitations they send to you. Under the Friends menu, there is an option called “Invite Friends.” Click it.
- An invitation pop-up window is displayed. Now enter the email address of your friend whom you like to invite. After entering the friend’s email address, click on the Next button.
- It will show you all the available servers where your media files are stored. If you do not wish to share all the media libraries, you can uncheck that option and select the ones that you want to share. Once you have selected the list of media files to share with your friends, click on the “Invite” button.
- An automatic email is sent to your friends. When they click on the link containing the invitation, it will get activated.
Now, your friend has to log into his account and go to his profile. From the profile your friend has to select the option “Users” and then click “Friends” tab. He should then click on the green colored checkmark that is displayed near the invite to accept. Now, when you go back to your home screen, you will see that your friend’s dashboard is filled with your media library. Sharing your Plex Media library with others means you can have movie night with your buddies without having to share your popcorn!