The CF-Auto-Root tool is developed by Chainfire and can root just about every Samsung smartphone and tablet. The part where some people go wrong is that they do not realize there are many versions of the CF-Auto-Root tool, and they flash the wrong file. Flashing the wrong one is not the end of the world, it just means you need to unbrick the Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphone which is usually done by flashing the appropriate stock ROM. There is usually one of the CF-Auto-Root tools for each model number, and you should not flash a version of CF-Auto-Root tool that is for a different model number unless advised by a professional.
- Chainfire developed the CF-Auto-Root tool file that is found in this tutorial when he was running the LRX22C.E300KKTUGOJ3 firmware build number on the Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphone. He lets us know that information because there might become a time down the track when we can use it as an indicator. However, you do not need to be running that same firmware build number on the smartphone. You just need to be running on the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop software updates and have the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone that has the SHV-E300K model number.
- People planning on rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphone using this guide will need to have a computer that is running a version of the Windows operating system.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Most people need to install the Samsung USB Drivers on the computer running Windows they plan on using the guide below before they get started, or else the Odin flashing tool does not detect the smartphone when you attempt to connect it. Installing the drivers is done by opening the Downloads folder and then clicking on the driver file and then following a few on-screen instructions that are given to you by the driver program. You see them on the screen after you double-click and run the program from the Downloads folder.
- Some of the Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones need to unlock the Developer Options menu because it is hidden. If you have not yet unlocked yours you can do that now by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number no less than seven times. Touching the build number enough times will result in a new message appearing on the display which usually says that you are using the device as a developer. That message is letting you know that you can now enter the Developer Options from the Settings and make any adjustments you might need. We run through the one adjust that you do need to the following point.
- Enter the Developer Options menu now and then turn on the USB Debugging Mode by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging. Exit the Developer Options menu once you have checked the box for the USB Debugging and the Android operating system will remember the setting.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SHV-E300K RUNNING ON ANDROID 5.0.1 LOLLIPOP SOFTWARE UPDATES
- Download the CF-Auto-Root tool file for the Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphone when it is running on the Android 5.0.1 Lollipop updates.
- Extract the rooting package to the Downloads folder which is the same folder that it automatically downloads to when you click to download the file.
- Double-click on the Odin .exe file that is in the downloads folder after you extracted the rooting package, so the flashing tool runs.
- Boot the Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphone into the download mode and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable that you use to charge the battery usually.
- Check that you get a yellow or blue color from the ID: COM port that you see around the top left corner in the Odin app on the computer.
- Click the AP button from the Odin app on the computer and then navigate through to the Downloads folder and upload the rooting file that has the CF-Auto-Root visible in the file name and ends in the tar.md5 file extension.
- Click the Start button and wait for the smartphone to get rooted.
In conclusion, that is how to root Samsung Galaxy S4 SHV-E300K smartphones when they are running on Android 5.0.1 Lollipop by using the most traditional version of the CF-Auto-Root tool made by Chainfire. Like many of you will already know, CF-Auto-Root is a popular one-click rooting tool that always results in the SuperSU application (also made by Chainfire) efficiently installed and enabled on the smartphone that you are choosing to install it on.