Once you have unlocked the bootloader on the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone, you are then able to check out what it takes to install a custom recovery. The best custom recovery (TWRP) is available for the Mi Max and with it, you can flash just about anything you had dreamed of flashing. Users use the custom recovery to get root access or install a custom ROM. Most people think that these two things are compatible, but they are not. You do not usually need to root Android before installing a custom ROM. Provided you have unlocked the bootloader and installed a custom recovery the ROMs run.
Here is everything you need to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Max smartphones so you can flash SuperSU and get root access on the phone or just use the new recovery for flashing your files like ROMs and kernels:
- You must have unlocked the Xiaomi Mi Max bootloader before you get started with this guide. You cannot install a custom recovery on the Mi Max smartphone without the bootloader unlocked first. Moreover, unlocking the bootloader wipes the data just like a factory reset so make sure you take a backup before you unlock the bootloader.
- You must have a computer that is running on a version of the Windows operating system to follow this guide because the ADB in our guide is made for Windows. There are other versions of ADB available to install on the web, but they also require unique commands from the command line which is why we do not cover them all in the one guide. However, if you have another OS like Mac or Linux and know what those commands are then you can use the TWRP file available in this tutorial and it flashes for you just the same.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You need to unlock the Developer Options menu  on the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone if it is not done already and then enable the USB Debugging Mode  from the Developer Options menu. With the USB Debugging Mode turned on you are then able to make changes to the Android software that is running on the smartphone. Developers primarily use USB Debugging.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON XIAOMI MI MAX
- Download the TWRP Recovery for Hydrogen  directly to the computer.
- Set up ADB for Windows on the computer  so you can flash the custom recovery and then come back to this guide when it is configured. (Also, you should install the Universal Windows ADB Driver  so the ADB runs smoothly).
- Connect the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the Downloads folder where the TWRP file has ended up and copy the file over to the ADB folder.
- Extract the TWRP file  inside the ADB folder so you have everything in the one directory.
- From inside the ADB and TWRP folder, hold the Shift key down and right-click the background where there are no files and a new menu presents itself on the display.
- Choose to “open a command window here” from the menu.
- Type the command: “adb reboot bootloader” and the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone will boot into the bootloader mode and be ready for the flashing.
- Type the command: “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img” and the custom recovery now gets flashed onto the phone.
- Type the command: “fastboot reboot” and as soon as the Mi Max smartphone reboots, hold the hardware button combination for the recovery mode so that it boots into the recovery mode.
In conclusion, that is how to install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi Max smartphones so you can have the stock recovery swapped for a custom version. The custom recovery allows you to do lots of things including learn how to root the Xiaomi Mi Max smartphone when it is running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow  software updates.