What would the Elephone Vowney be without a custom recovery installed? A basic OS that runs Android 5.1 Lollipop without the chance of upgrading it to something newer or lighter in the form of a custom ROM. You might even find some new kernels available for this handset that allows you to run with supercharged hardware. Moreover, some people enjoy installing a custom recovery just for the sake of being able to take NANDroid backups even though it is a feature that is developed for the custom recovery to conveniently allow those who are flashing new ROMs to backup data efficiently.
- The custom recovery image in this guide is only made for the Elephone Vowney to the best of our knowledge. Most custom recovery images are also only made for the one device. Flashing the wrong custom recovery on the wrong device can result in the bricking of that device. It will be a soft-brick but a bricking situation but still a situation you could do without.
- You need to have a Windows operating system running on the computer you plan to have the flashing tool installed on to use this guide or else it will not work.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You will need to unlock the Developer options menu and enable the USB debugging mode  on the Elephone Vowney smartphone if you have not got that done yet already. Most people disable the Developer options menu when it is not in use so they can look after the device better. You can also read how to disable the Developer options menu from the same guide that teaches you how to enable it.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON ELEPHONE VOWNEY
- Download the SP Flash Tool  and extract it on the desktop .
- Download the TWRP file for the Elephone Vowney  smartphone and extract it to the desktop.
- Download the MTK USB drivers  on the computer and install them before moving onto the next step.
- Open the SP Flash Tool and click on the scatter loading button.
- Navigate through the TWRP contents and select the scatter file to upload to the “scatter loading” button in the flash tool.
- Deselect every box available in the flashing tool part from the one that says “RECOVERY” since we are about to be installing the Recovery.
- Power down the Elephone Vowney smartphone and then connect it to the computer with the USB cable when it is off completely.
- The flashing tool will now proceed to flash the custom recovery to the Vowney smartphone.
- Reboot the Vowney handset once it is done.
That is all you need to get the custom recovery installed on the Elephone Vowney smartphone. You can use the same hardware button keys that you used for the stock Recovery Mode to now get the custom recovery to boot up on the display instead. That custom recovery comes with as many features as any out there online to install, including the option to take your NANDroid backups, flash files and access more advanced features than you can poke a stick at.
One of the main reasons for people wanting to install a custom recovery is so they can use it to get the right versions of the SuperSU file installed and enabled correctly. Here is everything you need to root the Elephone Vowney smartphone by using Chainfire’s SuperSU  app.