Installing a custom recovery on the HTC Desire 825 handset is a requirement for anyone who wants to replace the current version of Android that was given to them when they first bought the device for a custom version. These custom versions are called custom ROMs, and you can flash the custom ROM files directly from a custom recovery partition.
The HTC Desire 825 might not have any ROMs available for you to install yet, but you can still use the custom recovery that you are installing for other things such as taking NANDroid backups or getting root access. There is a version of the SuperSU package developed by Chainfire that can be installed to get root access as soon as you have finished the guide for installing the custom recovery.
- You need to unlock the bootloader on the HTC Desire 825 smartphone before you can follow this guide for installing the custom recovery.
- You need to have a computer that is running on a version of the Windows operating system.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Unlock the Developer Options menu on the HTC Desire 825 smartphone  so you can then enter it and turn on the USB Debugging Mode.
- Note that this is an unofficial version of the TWRP Recovery by Team Win. There is no official version available yet at the time of writing this guide.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON HTC DESIRE 825
- Download the TWRP Recovery  for the HTC Desire 825 smartphone.
- Setup ADB on the Windows  computer and then come back and continue with this guide when that is completed.
- Install the ADB Drivers .
- Connect the HTC Desire 825 smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the Downloads folder on the Windows computer and then extract the custom recovery file to the Downloads folder.
- Copy the contents from TWRP over to the same folder as the ADB, so everything is available in the one directory.
- Hold the Shift key down and right-click the white background of the ADB folder and choose to open a new window from the menu.
Type the command “adb reboot bootloader.”
- Type the command “fastboot flash recovery recovery.img.”
- Type the command “fastboot reboot” and then hold the hardware key combination down for the Recovery Mode  on the HTC Desire 825 handset so that it first-time boots into the Recovery Mode.
You all now have the custom recovery image installed on the HTC Desire 825 smartphone. You can boot into the custom recovery image by using the same hardware key combination that you use for the stock Recovery Mode before you had installed the custom recovery over the stock version. You have everything you need to install booting the Desire 825 handset into the Recovery Mode and flashing files that contain your custom ROMs or even the custom kernels if you prefer. There is no need for you to root the device before you do those things.
Having said that, you can now use the custom recovery image to gain those rooting rights over the Android operating system. You can find out how that is done by checking out our guide on how to root HTC Desire 825 smartphones running on the Android 6.0 Marshmallow software updates by flashing the SuperSU by Chainfire from the custom recovery image that you just installed. The guide offers the right version of the SuperSU for you to download.