So, you have a HTC One X in your hand thriving to get rooted? If yes, then you are at the right place to start getting your device rooted. Unlocking the bootloader of your device would be one of the first steps (probably the hardest) forward to achieving your goal.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Unlock bootloader of your device at your own risk. Unlocking the bootloader may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to unlock the bootloader of HTC One X (GSM) international version. Do not try this on other versions of HTC One X. Please note once again that unlocking your bootloader will erase all user data from your device’s data partition (files that you placed on your device’s internal storage wouldn’t be affected; just the apps, settings, etc would be wiped).
Before We Begin
To unlock the bootloader of your HTC One X, you would need the following packages:
- Install ADB and Fastboot  on your computer.
- Or, if you want a lighter download, just download the required Fastboot files  only, and extract its contents to the same folder where you will be later downloading the file Unlock_code.bin (to be downloaded at a later step in this guide).
- HTC USB drivers for Windows , if you are running Windows, or the drivers for Mac or Linux if you are running those. Install the drivers if you haven’t installed them already.
How To Unlock The Bootloader Of HTC One X
To unlock the bootloader of your HTC One X, follow the steps below:
- Go to HTCdev website  and create an account there (or login to your account if you have already been registered).
- After registering, go to the Unlock Bootloader page  on the website.
- Select ‘All Other Supported Models’ and then click on ‘Begin Unlock Bootloader’. Click on ‘Yes’ when a warning message appears.
- Check both the boxes to agree to the terms and click on ‘Proceed to Unlock Instructions’.
- Turn off your device by keeping the power button pressed for 10 seconds.
- Press and hold the ‘Volume down‘ and ‘Power‘ buttons (Volume down + Power).
- Highlight the Fastboot option from the list using the Volume up or down keys and use the Power button to select the option.
- Connect your HTC One X to your computer via USB.
- Open a command prompt in your computer (First, press Win + R to launch the Run dialog, then enter “cmd” in the dialog box).
- First, change the working directory of the command window to the directory where you will be soon downloading the file Unlock_code.bin (in the coming steps) using the command “cd directorylocation” without quotes (for example, “cd c:\android“).
- Then, in the command prompt, enter:
- fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Copy the text between <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>> (you can copy the text from the command window by: right-click -> Mark -> select the required text -> right-click -> Copy). This is your Token ID.
- Paste the Token ID in the HTCdev website and submit it.
- You will soon receive a mail from HTCdev with a file Unlock_code.bin. Download this file to the directory you had chosen earlier.
- Now, enter the following command in the command prompt:
- fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- Your phone will display a bootloader unlocking request. Use the volume keys (volume up/down) to highlight ‘Yes‘ and then press the ‘Power‘ button to select it.
- Your phone will now reboot and the data partition will be reset.
As per a senior XDA member, bagofcrap24, you needn’t worry if the command window displays an error about too many links.
- Congrats! The bootloader of your HTC One X has now been successfully unlocked.
Enjoy your HTC One X with an unlocked bootloader. Now you can do things such as install custom recovery such as ClockworkMod recovery , root your device, and so on.
[via XDA ]