ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery  is one of the most popular and extensive custom recovery tool for Android devices. It replaces the ‘boring’ default Android recovery with itself enabling Android users to carry out advanced or complex tasks with ease. Official CWM recovery is yet to be released for Samsung Galaxy Note II. But as usual, an XDA member (Chenglu) has come up with an unofficial build of CWM recovery.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Install a custom recovery at your own risk. Installing a custom recovery may void your warranty.
This guide helps you to install ClockworkMod Recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note II (N7100 and I317).
Before We Begin
To start with installing ClockworkMod recovery on your device, make sure that you are ready with the following:
- Download either cwm6-recovery-note2.tar.md5  (for N7100) or cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5  (for I317) to your computer. Do not extract this file.
- Download ATTGalaxyNoteRecovery.zip . Extract this file to obtain 3 files (odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar, Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). We need only 2 files from this package (Odin3.ini and odin3 v1.85.exe). To make sure that you don’t flash the wrong file later in a hurry, delete odin_n1717_cwm_recovery_b4.tar.
- Samsung USB drivers for Windows , if you are running Windows, or the drivers for Mac or Linux if you are running those. Install the drivers if you haven’t installed them already.
How To install/flash ClockworkMod recovery on Samsung Galaxy Note II
Follow the steps below to install ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II:
- Turn off the device.
- Boot into Download Mode by keeping the ‘Volume Down’ and ‘Power’ buttons pressed (Volume Down + Home + Power), until you see a Warning! screen.
- At the Warning! screen, read it and press ‘Volume Up’ button to enter Download mode.
- Double-click odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin.
- Plug-in your device to the computer using USB cable.
- After you plug-in the device, the first box at the top of Odin, i.e, ID:COM will turn yellow and the message ‘Added’ should appear in the message box in Odin (If this doesn’t happen make sure you have the drivers for your device installed on your computer).
- On the Odin window, click on PDA button and select cwm6-recovery-note2.tar.md5 (for N7100) or cwm6-recovery-i317.tar.md5 (for I317) which you had downloaded earlier. Do not make any changes to any other settings in Odin.
- Click on ‘Start’ to start the flashing.
- Wait until Odin does its thing. The box at the top of Odin will show ‘PASS’ after the flashing procedure is complete.
- Wait till the device automatically reboots.
- Unplug the USB cable.
- Congrats! You have now successfully installed ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II, if everything went fine.
To access ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II:
- Turn off the device.
- Keep pressing ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Power buttons until the device responds. Once the display turns on, release the ‘Power’ button, while holding the ‘Volume Up’ button.
Enjoy an extensive ClockworkMod recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Note II. Now you can do things such as rooting your device, performing advanced backup and recovery, partitioning SD card and much more.
[via XDA ]