Unlocking the bootloader is usually one of the preliminary steps to getting rooted, and maybe you are reading this now just because you are looking forward to getting your Samsung Galaxy Nexus rooted. But still, unlocking the bootloader involves its own risk; of voiding the warranty. But there are also methods to lock the device, to bring it back to the original state to claim warranty.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Unlock your device at your own risk. Unlocking may void your warranty. Unlocking may also erase all data on your phone.
This guide will help you to unlock the bootloader of the GSM, Verizon, and Sprint versions of Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Please note again that unlocking the bootloader of your device will erase all data on your device and void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
Before starting off to unlock the bootloader of your Samsung Galaxy Nexus, be ready with the following:
- Download and install Galaxy Nexus ToolKit v7.8.0.exe  to your computer.
- Download and install Samsung USB drivers for Windows  if you haven’t already installed the drivers for your device.
How To Unlock The Bootloader Of Samsung Galaxy Nexus
To unlock the bootloader of Samsung Galaxy Nexus, follow the steps below:
- On your phone, go to Settings -> About Phone and note down Android version and Build number.
- Open Galaxy Nexus Toolkit.
- Choose the correct category of your phone.
- Select the proper Android version and Build number of your phone in the toolkit.
- Select Unlock/Re-lock Bootloader.
- Select Unlock Bootloader.
- ‘Waiting for device‘ message will be displayed in the toolkit.
- Power off your phone.
- Boot into bootloader mode by keeping the Volume up, Volume down and Power keys pressed until the device responds and you see ‘Start‘ on the screen.
- Connect your phone to your computer via a USB cable.
- When prompted, select ‘Yes‘ on your phone.
- Reboot your phone.
- Congrats! You have now successfully unlocked the bootloader of your Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
Enjoy your Samsung Galaxy Nexus with an unlocked bootloader. Now you can get ready to root your phone and install a custom recovery like ClockworkMod.
[via Ultimate Droid ]