VirtualBox is an awesome virtual machine you can use to virtually install different operating system. However, the drivers associated with VirtualBox can be a pain in the @$$. Sometimes they don’t work properly and need to be reinstalled; sometimes you want to remove them but they don’t uninstall properly; whatever. The point is there are times when you want to manually uninstall/remove/delete VirtualBox drivers because simply uninstalling VirtualBox doesn’t do it for you. This guide shows you exactly how to remove these drivers on Windows.
HOW TO UNINSTALL, DELETE, OR REMOVE VIRTUALBOX DRIVERS
Note: This is a fairly safe process but be sure to backup your files in case something messes up.
There are four drivers VirtualBox installs on Windows and sometimes does not properly remove when you uninstall VirtualBox: Support driver, Host-Only Network Adapter driver, Bridged Networking driver, and USB Monitor driver.
To uninstall, delete, or remove these VirtualBox drivers, do the following:
- Open My Computer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\.
- Once in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\, find and delete these five files:
Take note that, if you have already uninstalled VirtualBox, you may not have all five of these files. Delete whichever ones that are there.
- Close the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ window.
- Open Registry Editor (regedit). This can be done by pressing Win + R on your keyboard, typing “regedit” (without the quotes) in the Run dialog box that opens, and then clicking OK. If you are Vista, Win7, or Win8, you will also have to confirm UAC prompt.
- In regedit, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\.
- In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\, look for five folders:
Right-click each of these folders and click Delete. Make sure you delete all five but do take note, if you have already uninstalled VirtualBox, you may not find all five folders. Delete whichever ones you find.
- Close regedit.
- Restart your computer.
Once you do all the above, you have successfully removed VirtualBox drivers from your computer.
Enjoy life without annoying VirtualBox drivers.