[iPhone] Add effects, text, frames, and filters to photos with BeFunky Photo EditorApril 6, 2013 0 Email article | Print article
Have you ever been to one of those fro-yo bars with the unlimited toppings? No matter how old you are, it’s always fun to go in there and pile topping after topping on top of your cup of frozen yogurt. BeFunky Photo Editor is like the camera app equivalent of the fro-yo bar: you can just keep piling effect after effect after effect onto your photos. But unlike the over-the-top creations from the fro-yo sundae bar, this app won’t turn your stomach after five minutes.
What is it and what does it do
BeFunky Photo Editor allows users to pile an unlimited number of cool effects, text, frames, and filters onto your photos. You can also check out the photos that other users have made public.
- Doesn’t require an account to use or share photos
- Pictures can be either public or private
- Huge gallery of photos from others that you can browse (including galleries of tattoo art, LOL-worthy pics, cars, sports, and more)
- Over 29 free photo effects included (more available via in-app purchase)
- Crop, straighten, rotate, sharpen, and add vignetting to any photo
- Simultaneously save to the BeFunky Gallery, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr, and your Camera Roll
- Edit photos from your camera roll, or brand new images you take with your camera
- Additional frame and effects packs will set you back 99 cents
- App can be a bit laggy and unresponsive when scrolling through image galleries
- UI is serviceable, but a bit clunky outside of the actual photo editor
BeFunky offers a ton of different editing tools, effects, and text tools to personalize your photos. You can also import photos from other photo editor apps to layer even more effects on an already-altered photo.
I feel like the photo editor UI is far superior to the laggy UI you’ll make use of when scanning the galleries. The app never outright crashed on me, but it was extremely slow and laggy when I was browsing the work of others.
I do like that you can make pretty much full use of the app without having to sign-up for a BeFunky account: there’s nothing worse than a photo app that won’t let you try out the service until you fill out a boring form. The only thing you can’t do without an account is share images with the BeFunky community: however, you can still export to your camera roll or post on Facebook, tumblr, Twitter, or Flickr.
I think that the filters themselves are pretty excellent. There is a great diversity of little add-ons that can make your photos really pop, and having the ability to add colored text is also smart. You can pile on a ton of little touches to get just the right look for your photos, and there’s a slider bar for the filters that lets you customize things even further.
Conclusion and download link
If you feel limited by some of the other photo editing apps on the App Store, BeFunky lets you pile on tons of effects, text, frames, and other elements to make a one-of-a-kind creation that you can keep private or share with friends. Whether you are looking for an app with a sense of community or a simple tool for editing your personal photos, this app is right for you.
Version reviewed: 3.5.1
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS version 4.3 or later
Download size: 38.3 MB