Different countries have different habits and etiquette when it comes to communicating. For example, it is common practice in some parts of Scandinavia to first text a person before calling them, to ensure that now is a good time to talk. In our digital age, there are dozens of ways to communicate with someone, or just to get their attention. Finding the right method for reaching out can be tricky. However, Jumvo may offer the best of both worlds: a method of communication that is casual, yet has a personal touch.
What is it and what does it do
Jumvo is an iPhone app for sharing audio greetings and conversations between you and your Facebook friends.
- Tap-free talking: just raise your phone and speak
- Safer than texting: you can use the app to send messages without ever taking your eyes off the road or your surroundings
- Push notifications let you know when you have a new message
- Leave audio messages, even when the recipient isn’t online
- More intimate and personal than sending a regular Facebook message that is text-only
- Limited support for iPhones: App Store description states the app will only work with iPhone4/iPhone3GS
- Used for Facebook contacts only: if you have friends who aren’t on Facebook, it is hard to loop them in on your group messages
It’s kind of unfair to put down Jumvo for only offering Facebook login, given the fact that this app is all about communicating with Facebook friends. That being said, I would love to see updates to the app that allow integration with other social networking platforms.
These upgrades could be integrated into Jumvo, or expanded into apps in their own right, branded as “Jumvo for Twitter” or “Jumvo for LinkedIn.” It would be nice if you could have conversations with people who weren’t all on Facebook, or if you could limit your business conversations to just your colleagues on LinkedIn. Hopefully this promising app will continue to grow and improve over the coming years.
All that aside, I think that Jumvo is a great app. It fills a great communication niche: it’s great for adding a personal touch to quick hellos, or useful when organizing a meet-up. It’s a very simple tool that makes communication easier, even as it provides yet another way for people to communicate with one another.
Your local laws about using a phone while driving will vary, and neither we nor the developers of the Jumvo app can advise you about those laws. That being said, most people would agree that speaking your messages into Jumvo is much safer than typing them, particularly when you are behind the wheel.
Conclusion and download link
There are times when a written Facebook message is too impersonal, but a phone call isn’t possible. For those times, Jumvo is an excellent communication tool. The app is simple to use, has a fun interface, and helps you keep in touch with people you care about.
Version reviewed: 2.5
Requires iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, iOS version 4.0 or later
Download size: 4.1 MB