ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery and TWRP recovery are the top two custom recoveries when it comes to Android. Installing a custom recovery will help you to get access to features like taking advanced backups, partitioning SD card, and so on. Get ready to taste the CWM or TWRP recovery on your all new Google Nexus 5 within a matter of minutes.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide.
This guide will help you to install ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery or (TWRP) recovery on your Nexus 5 device.
Before We Begin
Get ready with the following:
- Unlock the bootloader of your Nexus 5.
- Download and install ADB and Fastboot on your computer.
- Download and install Google USB drivers, if haven’t already done so.
- Enable USB debugging in your Nexus 5.
- Download CWM recovery or TWRP recovery to your computer, based on your choice.
- Make sure that your device is charged upto well above 50% to be on the safer side.
How To install/flash ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery on Nexus 5
- Turn off your Nexus 5.
- Unplug your Nexus 5 from your computer, if it’s already plugged in.
- Boot your device into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding the keys Volume Up, Volume Down and Power simultaneously, until the device responds.
- Now, rename the recovery files which you had downloaded earlier (CWM or TWRP) to recovery.img (and, be careful not to rename it to recovery.img.img).
- Plugin the device to your computer via a USB cable.
- Open a command prompt (Press Win + R to launch the Run dialog, then enter “cmd” in the dialog box).
- Change the working directory of the command window to the directory where you had placed the renamed file, recovery.img, using the command “cd directorylocation” without quotes (for example, “cd c:\Nexus5“).
- Enter this command in the command window:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- In your Nexus 5, use the volume buttons to choose ‘Restart Bootloader‘ and then use Power button to select it.
- After the bootloader reboots, you can then choose Recovery mode from the same.
- Congrats! You will now be in the all new custom recovery on your Nexus 5!
Enjoy the all new CWM or TWRP recovery on your Nexus 5! And, make sure that backup is the first thing you do on that! ;)