Now you can root almost all (or rather, ‘quite many’) Sony Xperia devices using the same tool, thanks to DooMLoRD of XDA. Though some might be skeptic about a ‘universal rooting method’ for a number of devices, many users have positively reviewed and reported the tool to be working fine. Anyway, you needn’t worry if you are too much skeptical about this; we won’t be leaving you out from those brilliant tools designed specially for your device. And, don’t forget to make sure that your device is compatible with this tool from the link below, to make sure that you don’t brick your phone.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This guide will help you to root a number of Sony Xperia devices. Please check the list of compatible devices before starting off. Also, this tool will not work for the latest firmware, 10.3.1.A.0.244 for XPERIA Z/ZL/ZR. Proceed at your own risk.
Before We Begin
Before getting started, get ready with the following:
- Download the latest rooting toolkit from the XDA thread (http://bit.ly/ert_17).
Download and install the USB drivers for your Xperia device, if you haven’t already done so.
- Enable USB debugging (for Android releases before 4.2 Jelly Bean, Settings -> Applications -> Development, for 4.2 Jelly Bean and above, check this thread.)
Enable Unknown Sources in your device (Settings -> More -> Unknown Sources for Jelly Bean and above; and Settings -> Applications for those before Jelly Bean).
- Please don’t forget to check the list of Supported Devices and be careful not to try this on any other phone/firmware other than that specified in the list.
How To Root Your Sony Xperia Device
- Extract the previously downloaded rootkit file to some location on your computer.
- First, connect your phone to the USB cable and then connect it to your computer.
- Run the file “runme.bat” in the folder that you just extracted.
- Carefully read and follow the instructions you see on the screen.
- Wait for the script to finish execution.
- Reboot your device after the process is complete.
- Congrats! You have now successfully rooted your Xperia device.
Enjoy your rooted Xperia. Keep tuned for more on your device.