Following up on the grand success of the original Galaxy Grand from early 2013, Samsung released the Galaxy Grand 2 which featured updated hardware specs for an affordable price. Specs include a 1.2 GHz quad core processor with 1.5 GB of RAM, 5.25 inch 720pHD display, 8 GB internal storage expandable to 64GB via misroSD card, and an 8 MP rear camera along with a 1.9 MP front facing camera, and Android 4.3 Jelly bean. If you happen to have gotten yourself a Galaxy Grand 2 and are looking to root it, here’s a step by step guide which will help you through the entire process.
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful how to. dotTech and its writers are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This guide is intended for the Samsung Galaxy Grand 2, model number SM-G7102, running Android 4.3 Jelly Bean. You can check your phone model number by going to Settings > About Device on your phone, or by checking the labels on the packaging box.
Before We Begin
A few things to download and be ready with before you go ahead and root your device:
- Samsung USB Drivers – Download and install on your computer
- ODIN 3.09 – Download and extract xip file to your desktop
- Android 4.3 XXUANA2 Pre-Rooted Firmware – Download and extract to your desktop
- Back up all your important data and media on the phone before you proceed
How To Root Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 SM-G7102
- Download and install the Samsung USB drivers on your PC
- Download and extract the Odin 3.09 zip to your desktop
- Download and extract the prerooted XXUANA2 firmware file to your desktop
- Switch off your phone and reboot to Download Mode. To do this, press and hold down Volume Down + Home + Power buttons simultaneously. When you see a warning screen, release all the buttons. Then Press Volume Up to enter Download mode
- Open the Odin folder on your desktop and launch Odin as administrator
- Connect the phone to the PC via USB cable. You should now see the message Added! in Odin
- Click the AP button in Odin and load the prerooted firmware .tar file from the folder you extracted earlier on your desktop
- Leave everything else in Odin as it is. Auto reboot and Reset Time boxes should be checked. Re-Partition box should be left unchecked
- Click the Start button in Odin to start flashing the pre-rooted firmware
- Once the flashing is done, your phone will reboot automatically and you will see a PASS message with green background at the top left in the Odin window. It is now safe to disconnect your phone
- Once the phone has rebooted fully, you should see the SuperSU app in the app drawer.
Congratulations!! Your Galaxy Grand 2 is now rooted! To verify root access, download and run the Root Checker app from the Play Store. Have fun.