Want to root your OnePlus One? This guide will help you accomplish just that, via a handy toolkit method!
Disclaimer: This guide is intended as a helpful “how to”. Ashraf and dotTech are not responsible for any gain or loss (including but not limited to bricked devices) incurred as a result of following this guide. Root your device at your own risk. Rooting may void your warranty.
This toolkit method will only work in Windows, so you’ll need access to a Windows machine first before attempting this.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download Java and then install it.
- If you had a browser open during the installation, make sure you close and reopen it so Java can finish installing.
- Download the OnePlus One Toolkit by manudroid19 from here, under the Download section of his post.
- Open the .exe file of the toolkit and follow the directions to install it.
- Click ‘Download ADB Drivers’ on the toolkit menu.
- Click ‘Install ADB Drivers’ on the toolkit menu.
- On your OnePlus One phone, navigate to ‘Settings’ then ‘About Phone’
- Repeatedly tap on the device’s Build Number until it says you’ve enabled developer options.
- Tap on ‘Back’ and then select ‘Developer Options’.
- Enable ‘Android Debugging’.
- Now you’re ready to plug in the phone via USB cable.
HOW TO ROOT THE ONEPLUS ONE
To root the OnePlus One, do the following:
- In the toolkit menu, click on ‘Flash’.
- Select ‘TWRP’ and click on ‘Download’.
- When it’s complete, you can close the command prompt and click on ‘Flash’ once again.
- Now, click on ‘Boot’.
- Select ‘TWRP’ and click ‘Boot’.
- After it boots into recovery, click on ‘Reboot’ then ‘System’.
- You’ll be asked if you’d like to install ‘SuperSU’. Confirm the installation by swiping.
- After it boots up, find and open the ‘SuperSU’ installer, which you’ll find in the app drawer or in the notification bar.
- Tap on ‘Play’.
- Tap on’Update’.
- When it’s done updating, tap ‘Open’.
- Then tap ‘Yes’ to install the binaries.
- Finally, tap ‘OK’.
To verify that you’ve successfully rooted the OnePlus One, you can download Root Checker from the Play Store to verify it. Enjoy your rooted OnePlus One!