The Samsung Galaxy A-series comes in 3 different varieties. The most expensive of those is the Galaxy A7, which is the one we have here. Within the A7 range is another four separate model numbers. That’s important to note as you read more about how to gain root access after the jump.
There are four main model numbers in the Sammy Galaxy A-series, known as the Alpha series. You can only flash the file below using the Sm-A7009 variant. Trying to flash the file on one of the others can lead to bricking.
The current software version these phones run is Android 4.4.4 KitKat. We do not know if this exploit will be patched in future updates such as the Android 5.0 Lollipop. Therefore, we only recommend following this guide when running Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Install the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones from here. Make sure to restart the Windows PC for them to work.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode which you’ll find from the Developer Options menu. Where’s that? Usually from the Settings menu unless the Developer Options is hidden. You can unlock it by tapping the build number seven times from the About Device menu.
- You must have a Windows PC to install the rooting file because Chainfire does not make it for Mac or Linux.
- The follow does void the warranty. You can get that back again by unrooting only.
HOW TO ROOT THE SAMSUNG GALAXY A7 A7009 RUNNING ANDROID 4.4.4 KITKAT
- Download the official CF-Auto-Root package for the A7009 here.
- Download the Odin version here.
- Use the desktop of the computer for downloading both packages.
- Now extract both files so they are unzipped and waiting.
- Double click the executable file in the Odin package.
- That should start the Odin application so it’s open on the desktop. Leave it there and move to the next step.
- Turn the A7 off completely and reboot pressing the Volume Down + Power + Home buttons. That takes you to Download Mode. press the Power button again if you see the warning triangle.
- Connect the A7009 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Click the PDA button and search for the rooting file on the desktop.
- Click the start button and wait until it finishes. The device will reboot automatically when it’s done.
That’s it! You are now free to install a custom ROM, supercharge the performance of your Sammy device and more.