The LG G2 Mini is the smaller version of the flagship a few years ago for the Life’s Good company. If you are struggling to find a working rooting method, you can use the guide below that works for all firmware versions on Lollipop and KitKat software updates. Here’s how to root LG G2 Mini:
- You want the Mini smartphone from LG to be running KitKat or Lollipop. The exact software version shouldn’t matter.
- Check that you do have the Mini variant of the G2 smartphone and no other. You can usually do that easily by navigating to the Settings > About Device and looking at the model number. Now Google that model number and check it matches with the Mini variant.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the rooting tool: LG_Root.zip
- Bookmark this guide in your browser so you can come back to it.
- Download the LG USB Drivers to the Windows computer. Restart the same computer to get those drivers working and come back to the guide here.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the G2 Mini: Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Cant find any Developer Options menu? Settings > About Device > tap the build number 7 times. Go back out and look at the Settings menu again and you should see the Developer Options menu.
HOW TO ROOT LG G2 MINI RUNNING ANDROID 5.0 LOLLIPOP OR 4.4 KITKAT
- Extract the rooting file to the desktop so you can use the files inside.
- Connect the G2 Mini to the computer with the USB cable.
- Have the root file open, right-click and hold the Shift key on an empty white space in that root folder. Now select to open the command prompt Window from the menu that pops up.
- Enter the command: “adb.exe push busybox /data/local/tmp/ && adb.exe push lg_root.sh /data/local/tmp && adb.exe push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp”
- You now have the files you need copied on the device. Unplug the G2 Mini from the computer now with the USb cable.
- Completely switch off the smartphone by holding down the Power key for over five seconds.
- Reboot the G2 Mini in Download Mode by pressing the Volume Up and connect the USB cable to the computer at the same time. Don’t let go of the Volume Up key until the connection is complete.
- Look inside the root file on the desktop you extracted earlier and double click the ports.bat file.
- Looks inside the ports.bat file for the COM port number of your device. Keep that number in mind because you’ll use it next.
- Type the next command in the command window: “Send_Command.exe \\.\COM4” but replace the “COM4” with your COM number.
- Type the final command before you’re done: “sh /data/local/tmp/lg_root.sh dummy 1 /data/local/tmp/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/local/tmp/busybox”
Now you have the root access you wanted! Unplug the G2 Mini smartphone from the computer and take out the battery. Insert the battery once again and your device will boot in normal mode. Now you are ready to install root-only apps from Google Play.