If you want to get the most out of your rooting experience, you’ll first need to replace the stock recovery with a custom variant. We can do much more with a custom recovery compared to the stock version, liking flashing zip files for installing custom ROMs. You won’t be able to flash anything from a stock recovery. One of the two most popular custom recovery images to install on Android is ClockworkMod which we call CWM for short. Here’s how to install it on the Galaxy Express:
- The guide is only for the Samsung Galaxy Express with model number I8730.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers direct to the Windows computer you are using.
- Understand that flashing a custom recovery typically does void a warranty, although most have already done that anyway by rooting the device.
- You need to unlock the bootloader before using this guide.
- You need to have rooted the Samsung Galaxy Express I8730 before using this guide.
HOW TO INSTALL CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY ON THE SAMSUNG GALAXY EXPRESS I8730
1. Download the Flashify app from Google Play here direct to your handset.
2. Download the ClockworkMod recovery file from this page directly to the Windows computer.
3. Connect the Express smartphone to the computer and transfer the file to the root of the SD card. That means don’t hide it in any sub folder.
4. Disconnect the handset from the computer now and open Flashify.
5. Grant the SuperSU access when it requests you to do so.
6. Navigate to Flash > recovery image and upload the CWM file you transferred to the root of the SD card.
7. Install the CWM file and wait until it uploads.
8. Tap the reboot now option and your device will reboot with the ClockworkMod recovery image fully installed.