As time goes by, many are choosing to install Team Win’s TWRP custom recovery over it’s main rival in ClockworkMod recovery. If you are one of those people and wish to do the same for your Samsung Galaxy Express, we’ll show you how it’s done after the drop. Remember, without installing a custom recovery, you cannot upload and install zip files which means you won’t have any custom ROMs. The custom recovery has several other advantages over the stock version, so let’s check out how it’s done:
- You can only use this guide on the SGH-I437 or else you risk bricking the handset. Model numbers are easy enough to find: head to the About Device menu from the Android OS and take a look.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You should install the Samsung USB Drivers on the computer.
- You are voiding the warranty on your device by following the guide.
- The guide works for Mac, Linux and Windows thanks to a new open source Heimdall tool.
- You need to have root access and have the bootloader unlocked before you can use this guide.
HOW TO FLASH TWRP RECOVERY ON THE SAMSUNG GALAXY EXPRESS SGH-I437
- Download the TWRP recovery from here.
- Download Heimdall from here to the computer of your choice.
- Extract both packages to the desktop.
- Type the first command in the command line: “heimdall flash –RECOVERY <em>filename.img</em>”
– you need to change the code where it says file name and insert the real file name you can see after extracting the TWRP recovery image.
You can now check out what custom ROMs are available for your device. Remember to check out the ROM reviews before installing. Many third-party developers have created better ROMs than others.