Google and T-Mobile have collectively released the Android 6.0 Marshmallow for the Google Nexus 6 smartphone. The new Marshmallow update comes with the build number MRA58K. Here is what you need to do to update T-Mobile Google Nexus 6 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
- The Google Nexus 6 released for a range of different phone carrier networks. The guide here is only for those with the T-Mobile variant. You can check your model number by pointing to the Settings > About Device and looking at where it says the model.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You only need two things done on your device before you start: check that you have the USB Debugging enabled and the Developer Options enabled. Without the Developer Options, you will not see the USB Debugging Mode since the option is inside. Developer Options is unlocked by heading to the Settings > About Device > tapping over the build number seven times until the screen tells you it’s unlocked. Now you can head back to the same Settings and see the Developer Options available. Enter it and check the box for the USB Debugging.
- You should not follow this guide to unroot your device. Likewise, if you are running on a custom ROM, you should not follow this guide. Doing so might brick down your handset.
HOW TO UPDATE THE T-MOBILE GOOGLE NEXUS 6 TO ANDROID 6.0 MARSHMALLOW MRA58K
- Download the Android 6.0 Marshmallow MRA58K firmware file from this link.
- Download the Android SDK for developers from this link.
- Learn how to set up and install Android ADK with ADB and Fastboot on Windows PCs from this link.
- Transfer the Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware build over to the same folder as ADB and Fastboot.
- Rename the firmware file to ‘Marshmallow.zip’ so you can easily type it later.
- Completely power down the Google Nexus 6 by holding down the Power key until it goes off.
- Reboot the Google Nexus 6 to the recovery mode. You can read how that’s done here.
- Now that you have the smartphone in recovery mode, connect it to the computer using the USB cable.
- Look on the smartphone menu from within recovery mode and press the ‘apply update from adb’ option.
- From within the folder where you have the files, hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse to get a new menu.
- Choose to open the command prompt window here from that new menu.
- Enter the first command which checks that your device is connected: ‘adb devices’.
- Now type the second command: ‘adb sideload Marshmallow.zip’.
- Once you press the Enter key on the keyboard, the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update will be applied to your smartphone.
- Do not touch any buttons on the smartphone until the process is complete. You will be able to tell when it’s done by looking at the optimizing apps screen on the smartphone.
- Close down all of the programs and disconnected the Google Nexus 6 from the computer as you normally would by stopping the USB Mass Storage device.
Excellent; you now have finished the update T-Mobile Google Nexus 6 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow guide. You should now be running the latest MRA58K software version.