These are the instructions to enter recovery mode on Motorola Moto X Play. The said mode is where you want to enter if you need to take a factory reset but cannot perform that action from the normal operating system due to a bricked or unresponsive display. You can also access the recovery mode to apply updates, wipe the cache partition and wipe all the data if you want to sell your device.
HOW TO ENTER RECOVERY MODE ON MOTOROLA MOTO X PLAY
Using the hardware keys:
- Start by turning off the smartphone. You can do that one of two ways: press the Power button once and select ‘Switch Off’, or long-press the Power button for 5 seconds. The latter way is handy if you cannot get the screen to function.
- Press the Volume Up and Volume Down keys and keep holding them both in for about 4 seconds.
- Once the 4 seconds are up, press the Power key.
- Now release all 3 keys at the same time and after having the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power combination down for about 1 second.
- You should now see the bootloader mode menu on the devices display.
- Use the Volume Down key to navigate through the menu and highlight the word ‘Recovery Mode’.
- Select that same mode by pressing the Volume Up button.
- You should see the Android logo appear on your device. Press the Volume Up button when you see that logo.
- Keep the Volume Up key held in and then press the Power key.
- Release both the Volume Up + Power keys after a second or so and your device will be in the recovery mode.
Using the hardware keys to enter the recovery mode on Motorola Moto X Play is one of the most difficult ways to get in the recovery mode out of all manufacturers. Most Motorola devices have a difficult method for entering this mode. The recovery mode is meant to come with a button combination that you will never accidentally press with your phone in your pocket or else you could potentially wipe all the data on your device. While that makes perfect sense, many believe that Motorola have taken it too far with that method. If you don’t have the coordination to enter recovery mode on Motorola Moto X Play using the hardware keys above, you can get there a different way.
Using an app:
- Those of you with root access can head over to the Google Play Store directly from the smartphone.
- Sign in to your Google account and search for the Quick Boot app.
- Open the Quick Boot app after it’s finished downloading and select ‘Recovery’ from the menu.
- The Quick Boot app will now take over and boot your device into recovery mode.
Using Android SDK:
- Learn how to set up Android SDK with ADB and Fastboot on Windows if you haven’t already. You’ll need it to complete this next task.
- Make sure you have USB Debugging Mode enabled on your Moto X Play by pointing to the Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Plug the Moto X Play into the computer with the USB cable.
- Open the folder where you have ADB.
- Hold the Shift key on the keyboard and right-click the mouse on an empty white area.
- Select the ‘open new command windows here’ option.
- Type the command: ‘adb reboot recovery’.
It will now enter recovery mode on Motorola Moto X Play.