The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini now has a new software update available that users can install manually with the Odin flashing tool. The new build number is L520VPUBOH1 and it upgrades your OS to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The most important part about this update is that it comes with the StageFright security update.
- You can only apply this software update on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini device. The reason for that is because the firmware is made for this device only and if you were to flash it on a different device, you would probably brick down that device.
- Those people who did accidentally apply this update on the wrong model number will need to search a Samsung firmware website like Sam Mobile and find the correct firmware for your model number. Now flash that correct firmware file on your device and the problem should be fixed. It was only a soft brick situation, but still a bricked device nonetheless.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers for mobile phones. You can get them from the official Samsung website download page. We already have that shortcut link for you available from our USB drivers page here. Just scroll down the page until you see the Samsung name.
- You must have a Windows PC to install this update. You cannot use the Odin flashing tool on Mac OS X or Linux. The guide works for all Windows operating systems apart from Windows RT on a Microsoft Surface tablet. The Windows RT environment is a unique environment that only lets users install apps from the Windows App Store. That means it won’t accept the Odin file you have below unless you jailbreak it.
HOW TO UPDATE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 MINI TO ANDROID 4.4.2 KITKAT L520VPUBOH1 WITH THE STAGEFRIGHT SECURITY FIX
- Download the Android 4.4.2 (L520VPUBOH1) firmware update from here.
- Download the Odin version 3.10 from here.
- Move the files over to the desktop of your computer.
- Right-click over the files and select the ‘extract here’ option after you get them on your desktop.
- Now double-click over the Odin executable file and launch that Odin flashing tool.
- The Odin should now be running on the computer and waiting for your device.
- Reboot the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini in download mode.
- Connect the S4 Mini to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait for the ID: COM port to change color and signify that it does detect your smartphone. Those who do not notice any color changes will need to install the Samsung USB Drivers from the link above in the before we begin section.
- If you are positive that you already have done that, try rebooting the computer and seeing if the ID: COM port changes color. Sometimes the drivers require a reboot of the computer.
- Click the AP button and browse the computer for the Android 4.4.2 firmware file you downloaded and extracted earlier.
- Click the Start button and Odin will flash that KitKat firmware on your device.
- Wait until you see the pass message from Odin before unplugging from the computer and enjoying the new Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.