These are the instructions to root Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge G925F on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with the latest XXU3COI9 firmware running. You can check your current firmware by heading to the About Device menu on your device.
- You may only use this guide on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge with model number G925F. Following the guide and installing these files on a different device will result in the bricking of that device. You may check your model number by navigating to the Menu > Settings > About Device and look where it shows the model number.
BEFORE YOU BEGIN
- You need to install the Samsung USB Drivers on your computer so the mobile phone can connect to that computer without any worries. Further, you need that to be a Windows-based computer and not Linux or Mac. That goes for both installing the drivers and the files during the guide.
- Double-check you do have the USB Debugging Mode enabled. Those of you without that mode enabled will not get this guide done successfully due to the fact that you must have it enabled to connect the device with the computer. You can check that by heading to the menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Those of you who need to unlock the Developer Options can get that job done by heading to the Menu > Settings > About Device > Tap the build number until it’s unlocked.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S6 EDGE G925F ON ANDROID 5.1.1 XXU3COI9 FIRMWARE
- Download the UniKernel from here.
- Download one of the latest versions of the Odin flashing tool from here.
- Download both of the files from above and move them from the Downloads folder over to the desktop.
- Once you have the files on the desktop, right-click over each of them one at a time and select the ‘extract here’ option.
- Hold the Power button on your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge smartphone until the device is completely off.
- Reboot it now in the download mode.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge to the computer using the USB cable you would use for charging the smartphone.
- If all goes well, the ID: COM port in the Odin tool should change color. When that happens, it signifies the drivers are working for your device.
- Click the AP or PDA button you can see in the Odin app on the computer.
- Browse your computer for the UniKernel rooting file — remember you must have extracted this file before uploading it or it will not work.
- Double-check the re-partition box is left empty.
- Also check the Auto Reboot and F Reset Time options are checked and on.
- Click the Start button in the Odin app and your device will get flashed with the UniKernel rooting file that grants the root permission on your smartphone.
- Soon the Odin app on the computer will give you the pass message and your device will reboot since you had the Auto Reboot option marked as on.
- Now you may unplug the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge from the computer and browse the Google Play Store for any of the apps you couldn’t use up until now.