Unlocking the bootloader on the HTC One A9 smartphone is the first step in performing some custom operations on your device. Once it’s unlocked, you can install a custom recovery and get root access to the internal system.
- The following guide is made for the HTC One A9 smartphone. You can use this guide on other HTC devices, but not necessarily all HTC devices. That’s why we only recommend following this on the A9 variant from HTC.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Installing the ADB Drivers and the HTC device USB drivers from our USB driver download page.
- Unlocking the bootloader on Android devices does wipe the data just like a factory reset would. You must backup your data before starting the guide. Check out the Helium app from the Google Play Store for help if you don’t like the backup option coming from your device.
HOW TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON HTC ONE A9 SMARTPHONES
- Point your browser to http://htcdev.com/register/ and register as a HTC Developer.
- Verify your email address by checking your email that you signed up with. For example, if you signed up with Yahoo mail, open your Yahoo mail and check for a new email asking to verify your account.
- Once complete, log in to your new user account from here: http://www.htcdev.com/
- Select the ‘Unlock Bootloader” option from the next so it’s highlighted and then click the green “Get Started” button.
- Disconnect the HTC One A9 from the computer and reboot it in the bootloader mode.
- Create a folder on your Windows PC. from within that folder, hold the Shift key and right-click the mouse where there is no file and it is just the white background.
- Choose the “open a new command window here” from the new menu you should see on the display.
- Connect the HTC One A9 to the computer with the USB cable.
- Type the command and hit Enter: fastboot oem get_identifier_token
- Highlight the text you can see between <<<< Identifier Token Start >>>> and <<<<< Identifier Token End >>>>>.
- Choose to Copy that text after you right-click over the text.
- Point your browser to here: http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/unlock-instructions/page-2
- Scroll down the page until you can see the My Device Identifier Token field.
- Paste the code you copied into this field and submit your token.
- Wait for a few days for HTC to email you back. Sometimes it can take as long as 10 days, depending on the device and how popular it is.
- Once you get the email, copy the code you get in the email over to the same folder you created at the beginning.
- Close the folder and re-open the same folder.
- Hold the Shift key and right-click where there is no file in that folder again and open the command prompt window.
- Type the command: fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
- That code will affect your HTC One A9 handset so look at the devices display. It should give you the option to confirm you do want to unlock the bootloader on your A9 smartphone. Confirm that message on the display.
- Now your smartphone will reboot automatically and the bootloadeer will be unlocked.
- Now that you have the HTC One A9 bootloader unlocked, you can learn how to install a custom recovery on the HTC One A9.