TWRP is the first custom recovery available for the Lenovo Zuk Z1 smartphone. Once you install TWRP recovery on Lenovo Zuk Z1 handsets, you can start checking out what custom ROMS are available. Even without any ROMs out there, having a new recovery is useful for taking complete backups that you couldn’t otherwise do without the hassle of ADB and a computer. So, whether you have OCD for backing up your data, or whether you plan on flashing new ROMs, taking the full backup option from your recovery is the better choice.
- You must unlock the Lenovo Zuk Z1 bootloader before using this guide for installing the custom recovery image on your device.
- The following guide is made for the Lenovo Zuk Z1 smartphone only. Do not try installing this custom recovery image file on any other device out of the Lenovo range because it work won’t and you can brick the device. The bricks will be soft-bricks and easily fixed, but still a brick you want to avoid nonetheless.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Lenovo USB Drivers for your mobile device.
- You must have the Developer options available from the Settings menu on your handset. Enter the same Developer Options menu and enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Note that you do void any warranty agreements you hold between yourself and the Lenovo OEM when you remove the stock recovery and replace it with a custom one. You should have no problem removing the custom version and replacing it with a stock recovery later, and if you do, the warranty will be restored.
- It’s best to take a backup of your data before starting with a guide like a custom recovery. You can use the Helium app from the Google Play Store if you want to back up your apps. Helium is also a popular choice for backing up other data.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON LENOVO ZUK Z1
- Learn how to set up ADB and Fastboot on your computer by following our step-by-step guide.
- Download the TWRP recovery file from here.
- Extract the custom recovery file to find the recovery z1.twrp.22.214.171.124.By.Breadcrust-UPDATE3.img file inside. Change the file name to something easier like z1-twrp-recovery.img
- Connect the Lenovo Zuk Z1 to the computer using the USB cable.
- From the ADB folder, hold the Shift key and right-click an empty area where there is no file and choose to open a new command prompt window from the menu.
- Type the command: adb devices
- Type the second command to reboot the bootloader: adb reboot bootloader
- Type the third command so your device is recognzed: -i 0x2b4c
- Type the fourth command to check the bootloader is unlocked: fastboot -i 0x2b4c oem get-device-info
- Type the final command that is going to flash that custom recovery: fastboot -i 0x2b4c flash recovery z1-twrp-recovery.img.img
The custom recovery is now installed on your device. You can boot the Lenovo Zuk Z1 into the recovery mode to use the new features available by turning it off and rebooting by holding the Power and Volume Down keys at the same time.