Some people prefer granting root access on the HTC Desire 816 smartphone so they can install more apps. If you want to fully customize your device, you’ll probably want a custom recovery to go with your root access. The custom recovery means you can load your custom ROM zip files and completely change the UI as you know it. Your new ROMs can sometimes come pre-rooted, with all stock apps removed for added performance, new features, faster and with new layouts that you prefer using in comparison to how your device comes out of the box.
- These are the guidelines to install a custom recovery (CWM recovery) on the HTC Desire 816. The guide below to install CWM recovery on HTC Desire 816 only works on that device. Do not try flashing the same file on a different device to avoid any bricking and bootloops.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You must have the HTC Desire 816’s bootloader unlocked before you can follow this guide. You can get that done by heading over to the HTC Dev’s website page here.
- You are voiding the warranty on your HTC Desire 816 smartphone when you unlock the bootloader and install a custom recovery — these two things are part of customizing a device. You can return the device back to its original state by locking the bootloader and flashing the stock recovery and the HTC warranty will work again. That means you will be able to send it away for free repairs.
- You must have the Developer Options unlocked so you can enable the USB Debugging Mode. Tap the Menu > Settings > About Device > The build number 7 times and it will tell you that you are now using the device as a developer.
- You must have the USB Debugging Mode enabled so you can connect the device to the computer. Tap the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode box to get that done.
HOW TO INSTALL CWM RECOVERY ON HTC DESIRE 816
- Download and install the HTC sync manager on your computer.
- Download the CWM recovery file for the 816 device from this link directly to the computer.
- Boot the HTC Desire 816 smartphone in bootloadermode/fastboot mode and run the executable file on the computer.
- Wait until the custom recovery is installed on your device and then boot it up in the custom recovery mode if you want to root it.
- Download the SuperSU file and make sure it’s at the root of your SD card.
- Tap the ‘Install’ option from your recovery mode menu.
That’s all you need to root HTC Desire 816 smartphone and install SuperSU to grant the rooting permissions for your new apps, custom kernels and custom ROMs. You can hit up the XDA Developers website if you are trying to find a place that stores your ROMs.