The Samsung Galaxy S4 is now aging enough for flashing new ROMs on the device to become really popular. One issue with flashing on a Samsung device if you have rooted using the CF-Root tool like we are today on the DoCoMo variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 is the flash counter will go up every time you flash a custom ROM, custom firmware or any custom kernel.
The problem with watching a flash counter go up is if you ever want to send your device away to get fixed, the Samsung technicians will notice that flash counter. The more your flash counter rises the less likely anyone from Samsung is going to spend time fixing your device.
Thanks to having root on Samsung Galaxy S4 SC-04E DoCoMo smartphones, there is a way we can fix this: just install the Triangle Away application made by Chainfire. Once you install the Triangle Away app on your S4 handset, you will return the flash counter back to zero and the yellow triangle you usually see with a modified kernel will be gone.
- Use this guide to root Samsung Galaxy S4 SC-04E DoCoMo on Android 5.0.1 only.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- Download the Samsung USB Drivers directly to your computer and install them before you start with the guide.
- You must have the Samsung Galaxy S4 DoCoMo bootloader unlocked before you can root it with the CF-Root tool.
- Make sure you have the USB Debugging Mode enabled on the DoCoMo S4 before you start by tapping the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
HOW TO ROOT SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 SC-04E RUNNING ANDROID 5.0.1
- Download the S4 SC-04E rooting bundle from this link.
- Once you have the bundle on the desktop, right-click over the file and choose the option that says “extract here” so you can start using the files.
- You should see the Odin flash tool executable file and the CF-Root tool for the S4 device.
- Double-click over the Odin executable file (.exe) and it will run on the desktop. Leave it open and we’ll come back to it later.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy S4 by long-pressing the Power button and reboot it in download mode.
- Once in download mode, connect the S4 to the computer with the USB cable.
- You should see the Odin user-interface detect your device and give you the “added” message.
– those of you who do not see that message should install the Samsung USB Drivers again or reboot the computer.
- Click the PDA button from the Odin app on the computer and browse the desktop for the CF-Root file from the extracted bundle on the desktop.
- Leave the default settings as they are when you first installed the Odin flash tool.
- Click the Start button and the flashing will begin.
- You can unplug your Samsung Galaxy S4 once you see a ‘pass’ message from the Odin app and your device reboots. Reboot the S4 device manually if you do not see if rebooting automatically.
- You can open the Play Store and Start installing your new apps you have been waiting for, or try installing a custom recovery and getting some new ROMs instead.
You might want to install the Triangle Away app as your first ever rooted app on the Samsung Galaxy S4 SC-04E DoCoMo smartphone.